Search for last person to make a state change

patricia_scott_honeywell_com June 17, 2022

I am wanting to create a subscription on a filter where only the last person who changed an issue to a specific state gets an email.

I have created the below filter and tested that the email only goes to the person who has made the transition to "Resolved"

project = TESTPRJ AND issuetype = Bug AND status changed to "Resolved" BY currentuser()

However, an issue can transition to that state multiple times, and I only want the email to go to the last person that changed the state to "Resolved" and not all users that changed the status to "Resolved".

I haven't tested this scenario, but wondering if the filter I have will only send an email to the last person that changed the status, or all people who did?  If it goes to all, is there a way to limit this to only the "last" person that made the state change?

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2022

Hi Patricia,

I am not sure how the subscription will hand the BY currentUser() part as I have never tried that. Are you setting the Assignee to the currentUser when the user changes the Status to Resolved? 

patricia_scott_honeywell_com June 20, 2022

I have tried it with a record where the transition only occured once, and the email only goes to the person that made the transition.

Seems to work the same way if you use "Assignee = currentuser()"  will only go to the person who is the assignee.

"watcher = currentuser()" will only send emails to someone that has selected to watch the issue.

So, doing the same thing with "BY currentuser()" also seems to only send the email to the person that performed the transition change.

I am going to test it more when I have someone else to test it with.

In all cases, the person must belong in the group I set the subscription up with.  If the person is in that group, then it will send only the person in the fields from above the email, it will not send the email to the entire group of people.

So, with the transition one, I am just curious if it sends it to "all" people who have transitioned the record to that state, or just the last one.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2022

Very good - thanks for the additional information. I would just do a little test with a single issue and have multiple people change to that status and see what happens. 

I suspect that it will still be only the last person, but I really don't know what will happen. It will be good to find out.  ;-)

Suggest an answer