Redmine to JIra Migration

Krishna M S March 12, 2019

Hi,

We have a Redmine 3.x hosted internally and plan to migrate to Jira.

I suppose Jira has a Migration tool.  Do we need to expose our existing server for the Migration?

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 12, 2019

Hey Krishna,

The recommended method for importing data from Redmine to Jira Cloud is with a CSV file you generate from Redmine. Since you'd download this CSV file to your local machine and then upload it to Jira Cloud, there is no need to expose your Redmine server.

We do offer a Redmine Importer plugin for Jira Server that you can use if the CSV is not working for some reason. This would be a longer process than importing a CSV to Jira Cloud, so I don't recommend going this route unless you have trouble with the CSV. The steps for using the importer would be:

1. Install a Jira Server instance (this can be on your local machine) using a trial license
  2. Follow the steps on our Importing from Redmine document to have Jira Server connect to Redmine and import the data
  3. Create an XML export of Jira Server as described on our Server to Cloud migration documents
  4. Import the XML file into your Jira Cloud instance

Cheers,
Daniel

Krishna M S March 14, 2019

Hi,

I checked online for Steps on how to generate CSV from Redmine. Is there any documentation regarding the same?

Regards,

Krishna M S

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2019

Hey Krishna,

While on the Issues page for a project, you should see a CSV option down at the bottom:

image.pngNote that if you're looking at hundreds of projects, it may be faster to go with the Jira Server / Redmine Importer option I described. But if it's just a handful, it should be reasonable to export the projects from Redmine and upload to Jira Cloud individually.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events