Jira core in Jira Service Desk

Valentina November 21, 2019

Hi,
my company uses an on-premise instance of Jira Service Desk and at the moment the version installed is 3.16.9; Jira version is 7.13.9
I did not follow this from the real beginning so it's not very clear to me if in Jira Service Desk package is included also Jira or if Jira was installed separately when the environment was set up.

I need to clarify this because we usually upgrade only Jira Service Desk so we would understand if we need to upgrade also Jira and eventually how.

Could someone help me?

Thank you

Valentina

1 answer

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2019

Hi @Valentina 

Jira Server comes in mainly 3 flavours - Jira Core, Jira Service Desk and Jira Software. These 3 can be installed separately.

However Jira Service Desk and Jira Software already has Jira Core. So when you update Jira Service Desk you have the option to also update Jira Core with it but not necessarily. It depends which version of Jira Service Desk you want to use.

Take a look at this version history page for more information.

Ravi

Valentina November 21, 2019

Hi @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ 
thank you for your answer.
However, whenever we have updated JSD there has never been asked whether to install Jira Core only or the entire package; I specify that because our instances has many customizations, we upgrade JSD manually running the installer on the VM.

In the version history you linked it is reported that Jira Service Desk 3.16.9 has Jira Server 7.13.9 and this corresponds with what I see in our system having upgraded always only JSD.

So my doubt at the moment is if it's reported a vulnerability on Jira Server, do we have to upgrade all JSD package (and patch for Jira Server will be inserted in it) because it is necessary to respect the corrispondance between the versions or can we upgrade only Jira Server to the patched version leaving unchanged JSD version?
In case the second option is the right one, how can we do this?

Thank you again

Valentina

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2019

Hi @Valentina 

If you have lot of add-ons and customisations then upgrade your Jira on a test instance first. Also take a look at the Enterprise Release, Atlassian will continue to support these releases for longer time and you can make sure that you are atleast on the recommended Enterprise Release. So that your instance will continue to get security updates (when you upgrade your instance) for a longer time. You can upgrade Jira and downgrade JSD if you want, provided it is compatible.

When there is a recommendation from Atlassian related to the security vulnerability you will find detailed information about the versions in the release notes.

Ravi

Suggest an answer