Jira Sub-task Naming Convention

Rahul Shirwadkar February 27, 2019

Can we customize the naming convention for Sub-task.

For.e.g. - I would like to have something like this.

If Task name is JiraTask-500

I would like to have subtask name as

-  JiraTask-500-001

-  JiraTask-500-002

-  JiraTask-500-003 and so on ... and not create a different Number for each subtask I create.

Currently, when I create a new subtask, I get JiraTask-501 JiraTask-502 and so on..

1 answer

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2019

Hi  @Rahul Shirwadkar ,

you can't customize the numbering-conventions, that's not possible.

Rahul Shirwadkar March 1, 2019

Hi @Thomas Schlegel

Thanks for the prompt response. Is there any other way we can achieve this, I mean just by looking at the sub-task number I should be able to identify to which Parent task it is linked to. Any suggestion or idea in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2019

I'm sorry, but I never heard of anything like this.

Zac Kennedy August 13, 2020

@Rahul Shirwadkar - did you ever get an answer to this? It seems like a really basic requirement that that Issue "ABC-1" would have a sub-task labelled "ABC-1.1" (or similar?)

This is driving me nuts in the issues list as the only difference is the icon. 

@Thomas Schlegel - have you since read up on this? basic feature in almost any task management software. 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2020

Hi @Zac Kennedy ,

no I haven't heard anything on this and I doubt that this will ever be changed. It would be a very fundamental change in my opinion which has the potential to make a lot of trouble everywhere in the whole system.

Zac Kennedy August 14, 2020

Thanks @Thomas Schlegel - whilst I find it incredibly hard to believe that it would require such a fundamental change, I appreciate that it is just not something that they are going to do so will no longer look/hope for it to be done. I'll make do with very different icons to differentiate between issues and sub-tasks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events