JQL to get Epics in Backlog state but its children are in active state not Backlog

Adeel Nazir April 19, 2019

I want to extract all Epics which are not started yet ( in Backlog state) but its children are in active state (Other than backlog).

i have using following JQL
issuetype = epic and status = Backlog and not (issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("has Epic", "status!=Backlog"))

but it returns me strage results

all stories with backlog status and 

all epics have no child

anyone can correct me here what i'm doing wrong here

1 answer

0 votes
Wade Tracy _Boise_ ID_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2019

I think this should work:

issueFunction in epicsOf("status != Backlog") AND status = Backlog 

Get all epics with children having a status other than Backlog and then narrow down that list to just the epics having a status of Backlog.

Adeel Nazir April 20, 2019

Hi @Wade Tracy _Boise_ ID_ 

You are very close to solution,

this JQL not returns  100% results

Problem is this JQL not returns all children in backlog (some of them are in backlog and some are in Done state)

Can you please modify it please to get all children not in Backlog?

Wade Tracy _Boise_ ID_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2019

I'm not sure I understand 100%.  Let me ask a few questions:

1. Do you want the query to only return epics? or epics and their children?
  2. Do you want epics that have ANY children in statuses other than backlog? Or do you want epics that have ALL children in statuses other than backlog?

I'm hoping you want only epics and just the epics where ALL their children and not in the backlog.  Here is the query:

issuetype = epic AND issueFunction not in epicsOf("status = Backlog") AND status = Backlog

If you are looking for something else, tweak it as needed or let me know.

Suggest an answer