JQL - how to get the first issue of returned set?

John Nguyen July 9, 2019

Hi Folks

How can I write a sql that returns only the first row of the result set.

For example:

This sql statement will return all issues of project XXX in ascending order

> project="XXX" ORDER BY createdDate ASC

I'd like to get the first issue from the return set.  What is the syntax?

Thanks

J.N

1 answer

0 votes
Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2019

Hi @John Nguyen ,

This is not possible out of the box, you would need an app such as SQL+JQL for that.

Antoine

John Nguyen August 27, 2019

Hi Antoine

Thanks for replying to my inquiry.  I got the Structure Add-On and still I'm not able to figure out how get the first child form the result and at the same time I want to get the parents displayed as well...

So the requirements are like this:

1 - Display all the tasks.

2 - If a task has more than one sub-task whose status is in 'In Progress' state, then get the sub-task that has the due date that nearest to today's date...

So if I have a structure X (built by JQL) that show all the Tasks and all the sub-tasks that have current status = 'In Progress', then how can I write a S-JQL to meet the requirements mentioned above?

Thanks

J.N

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2019

Hi @John Nguyen ,

I do not have this plugin, but I have checked the documentation. Your 2nd requirement would require a CURSOR in SQL (or a loop), so I am not sure this is doable in Jira, and would be complex to implement if so.

Antoine

John Nguyen August 28, 2019

Hi @Antoine Berry 

Completely agreed.  

The "Expr" language that comes with Structure does not provide any flow-control constructs and JQL does not provide CURSOR construct either.

I'm stuck on the rug :-).

But thank you very much for having given me the tips of how to process it.  I really appreciate it.

Have a good day Antoine

J.N

Like Antoine Berry likes this

Suggest an answer