Inherit (custom)field value from linked Epic

Peter January 24, 2023

Summary:

I have 2 projects, 1 business oriented and 1 team oriented. The business project works with Initiatives and Epics, the Team project works with Stories, Bugs, Tasks etc.

Within the whole company we work with different domains, such as E-Commerce, Supply Chain, Finance etc. The Epics / Initiatives have a Custom field where we specify the Domain the Epic is linked to. The teams create Stories for these Epics to work on (within the fore mentioned team project) and link them to the Epic.

Problem:

What I want is that the Stories that are created in the Team project, automatically inherit the Domain-field value from the linked Epic. I want to achieve this for every new story created but also existing Stories (as I am trying to improve transparency).

Through automations I only seem to be able to specify 1 particular value and not any value. But maybe I am doing something wrong.

3 answers

0 votes
Kamor, Hollee C. August 3, 2023

@Peter  Did you get an answer to this?  I am experiencing a similar problem - trying to inherit a field from one project to another.  As I am writing automation, it appears the branch is restrictive to the project I am writing the automation on, with no ability to change/add (not even available under the rule details)

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2023
0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2023

Hello @Peter 

Please provide here an image that shows your Automation Rule. We can't provide guidance without those details.

0 votes
Gokaraju gopi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2023

@Peter 

Can you also show on what you have done in automation, so that we can improve it further

Peter January 24, 2023

Of course!

Suggest an answer