In the "new view" as of June 2019, how can I see "Description"

Patricia Dougherty Stumpf June 13, 2019

My company has multiple JIRA projects and I noticed for a few of them, the entire "Description" field is not displayed in the "new view".  Is there a setting within the project that can be adjusted to show this again?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2019

Hello Patricia,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

By default, the description field should be displayed in the new issue view of JIRA. I suggest you check the following:

- Click on your profile picture at the bottom left corner of JIRA Application > Personal settings > Turn off the new issue view and check if the description start to appear

- Navigate to your project > Project settings > Fields > Check if the description field is hidden in the project screens

If the options above do not work, please provide us a screenshot of how your issue view is displaying now, hiding the confidential information in it.

Patricia Dougherty Stumpf June 17, 2019

Hi Petterson, thank you for the details.  I was able to set my profile so that I am back to the old view on all projects.  As far as the description field goes, it appears on multiple other projects; I have a feeling the field is hidden or set-up strangely in those projects.  I will check with our JIRA Admin further as needed, in the meantime, I am good with adjusting my profile.  Thank you.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2019

You are welcome, Patricia.

Since the description field is appearing correctly in the old issue view, I believe the misconfiguration must be in the project settings > Issue Layout of the project.

Please, ask your project administrator to also check this functionality.

Let us know what did he find with this investigation. :)

Suggest an answer