I need to find out the id of a specifc field on JIRA 7

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2016

If youre looking for manual way to look it up rather than a programatic way...

Fastest way i've found is to just start typing it in the advanced issue search.  When the autocomplete popup displays, it will list the field appended with "- [cf#####] the #### part is the field ID.

Kristina McInerny June 16, 2020

@Randy You've found the easiest process - just to outline it in 2020 on Jira Server:

1.  go to Issues > Search,

1. 2.  select Advanced search (where you can type in JQL by hand)
  2. start typing custom field name; the auto-complete area will show the ID next to the field name

I'm on Jira Server 8.5

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 12.23.38 PM.png

Like # people like this
Simen Eriksen November 13, 2020

I can not see this on Jira Cloud as of today, seems like the ID's no longer show up. They did before. Any ideas? (These are custom fields)Skjermbilde 2020-11-13 115317.png

Like ptancredi likes this
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2020

@Simen Eriksen Oh no!  I see that too and it's too bad because it was so convenient to use as a lookup.

Alternate route to get to it is now:

1. Press . to bring up the quick switcher
  2. Type custom fields and navigate to the custom fields section
  3. Filter by your field name in the filter box at the top
  4. Select the ellipsis on the far right for the field
  5. Select Edit Edit Details
  6. ID will be in the URL as secure/admin/EditCustomField!default.jspa?id=####

Please share if you've found a faster way to locate.

Like # people like this
4 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2016

If you are an admin, you can go Administration > Custom Field and hover over the Edit operation to find the id of the field in the url. Or right click and open the Edit url to open it in a new tab. That way you can see the field id in the browser.

You can also get the id from Database if you have access to the DB tables.

If none of that is an option, use the JIRA REST API to retrieve the fields available for a given project and issue type like this:

URL/rest/api/2/issue/createmeta?projectKeys=KEY&issuetypeNames=Task&expand=projects.issuetypes.fields

0 votes
totah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 10, 2021

If you have "Jira Cloud for Sheets" add-on w/ Google Sheets, you can search issue fields which will show the customID. In case you have many similarly names fields, you may want to search a specific project key and select all possible fields and see which returns the result you are searching for. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.21.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.26.54 PM.png

Simen Eriksen April 21, 2021

Thanks for the info!

The inconvenience with this is that we don't know which template they belong to. 

Especially if you have multiple fields with similar (or same names), it's a little hunt to verify the ID's

Suggest an answer