How to add a new field just like description?

Merve KADIOGLU January 18, 2019

Hello,

I need a custom field just like description. It'll be used for Specification Document so i need to add images and etc. I want to use especially JIRA. Is it possible?

By the way, I added my Custom field, and turned it to WikiStyle with renderers. I used community very well, but it didn't help my need. Another problem; If I don't write anything in spec custom field, I can't see my field on issue screen, I have to use add field action to see it. I want this field always on my screens.Screenshot_2.png

Thank you for your help,

Best Regards,

Merve.

2 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2019

Hello @Merve KADIOGLU and welcome to Community!

It looks like you've done the right configuration and I've just tested it myself on Cloud - it is still working:

wikiStyleRenderer_Edit.png

So I guess there is something missing in your configuration! Could you please go to your project settings > Fields > expand the field configuration associated to the Improvement issue type and share a screenshot of this? You should see "Wiki Style Renderer" like this:

fieldConfigurationProject.PNGAbout your last question:

Another problem; If I don't write anything in spec custom field, I can't see my field on issue screen, I have to use add field action to see it. I want this field always on my screens.

Jira will only display a field if it is not empty, so this is the expected behavior. Some ways to work around that:

• Make the Spec field required. This way, you're sure it will never be empty and always shown on your screens.
  • Set a default value to the Spec field, e.g., "-" or "xxx". I do not recommend to do this as users tend to leave fields with default value like this - so you never have any useful data in these fields.
  • Add the Spec field on a transition screen, so that users will think of filling it in through the transition.

Hope this helps!

- Manon

Merve KADIOGLU January 21, 2019

Hello @Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_,

Thank you for your quick reply, here is the screenshot you asked for:

Field Configuration:

image.png

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2019

Hello @Merve KADIOGLU,

That's actually not exactly the screen I'd like to see: you're sharing a screenshot from the field configuration in the global menu instead of the field configuration from the project menu. See the difference:

• From the global menu:

global.png

• From the project menu:

project.png

A screenshot from the project menu would ensure you did associate the right field configuration with the right issue type in your project.

Also, could you double-check if there is only one custom field named Spec in your instance? You may have configured one and displayed another in your screens.

Like # people like this

Hello @Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_,

Sorry for that,  yes there is a problem with my field. It is not wiki style here. How can I change this? Field seams wiki style type in global settings, but here text. Where did i go wrong? 

image.png

There is only one spec field, I'm sure of it. But first I created the field as text, and added on the screens. Then I found the solution to change it to wiki, and changed it. Maybe that's why it's still text type here? What do you think and suggest?

Also very grateful for your help,

Merve.

Hello again @Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_,

I think I did it finally, When I click field <Renderer> it opened field above all the time, I didn't notice until now. I changed the link, and then I could reach my field. So I changed it to wiki style finally. It should look like below, right?

image.png

Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2019

Hi @Merve KADIOGLU,

I'm happy you made it! You can change the way your fields render in different projects using field configurations, you can read more about it here: Specifying field behavior.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2019

No, you have got as close as you can on Cloud.  A rich unlimited text field is the option you need, but it won't go into a panel on its own like "description", and you have to have data in it for it to appear in the issue view, like all other custom fields.

On server, there are some hacks you can apply, but they are unsupported, and you can't use them on Cloud.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events