How do you create a new workflow?

Strivven System Admin March 8, 2019

So the documentation on this is a big fail in my opinion as it doesn't show you exactly how to create a new workflow from scratch, but rather sends you to add an existing one to a project and then disconnects in its directions and leaves the user hanging.

This is for Jira Cloud.

Seemingly simple question: How do I create a new workflow that I can use across projects? I just want to start with a blank slate and build my flow. I don't want to take an existing flow and edit it into a new one. I want a blank slate. That seems to be a really tall order apparently? Help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

2 answers

2 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2019

Hello @Strivven System Admin

Please look at this documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/adding-and-deleting-an-issue-workflow-844500765.html

It is for Jira Cloud.

Step 1: Create a new workflow.

Step 2: You then need to create a Workflow Scheme and add the workflow that you just created above in that scheme. Also map what Issue Types will be using that new workflow.

Step 3: Associate that workflow to your project. This will be done by going to Project Setting as you figured out.

2 votes
Strivven System Admin March 8, 2019

The correct way to add a new workflow is not the documentation provided, but instead:

1. From the projects board, click the gear icon in the bottom left

2. Select "Projects"

3. Click on the back arrow next to "Jira Settings"

4. Select "Issues" then Select "Workflows".

5. Click the Add Workflow in the top right and give your new flow a name and begin.

The above steps should take you to the screen you need to be on to create a new workflow.

So to nutshell: This documentation is incorrect.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/how-do-i-build-the-workflow-i-want-765593066.html

Michael Lee October 27, 2021

these instructions are not correct as they do not match the UI

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer