How do I put a time limit on a column?

Pernille Kjær Aagaard September 19, 2019

I need to put a time limit on columns in Jira. I have a way to put a limit on the amount of issues in the columns but I need a time limit so it is easily shown if I am using more than 1 day on an issue.

It can also be solved by creating a  quick filter showing the issues where the time in source status (under transitions) is more than 1 day. However I cannot find the right JQL for this.

Any solutions to this?

2 answers

2 votes
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2019

Hi @Pernille Kjær Aagaard

There's no method to set the column based on time - so to turn a column red if the issue has been in that column more than 4 hours.

But there's an alternative I've seen used before using Card Colours:

• Create a filter to search for issues transitioned in the last X hours using a history search - eg. status changed during (-4h, now()) 
  • Save this filter and note the Filter ID (it appears in the URL and should be a couple of numbers)
  • Go to Board > Configure > Card Colours
  • Set Card Colours using JQL
  • Set the JQL to give the card a red-line if the issue is in a status (in a column) and it has not been transitioned in the last 4 hours in that it does not equal the filter you created - eg. status = "In Progress" and filter != XXXXX

If you have multiple SLAs depending on the status you'll need to create multiple time-based filters and multiple card colour JQLs - if it's all just 4h per status, you could be as simple as: filter != XXXXX 

Another option I've seen work well is to have different colours to show if it's approaching an SLA - eg:

• If transitioned in under 2h, make card colour green
  • If transition between 2-4h, make it orange
  • If transition is over 4h, make it red

You could achieve these with more history searching - see this article for some great information on this!

Ste

0 votes
Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2019

I can't understand your requirement. What does "I need a time limit so it is easily shown if I am using more than 1 day on an issue." mean?

Can't you add conditions in your JQL to achieve it?

Pernille Kjær Aagaard September 19, 2019

I will see if I can explain it differently

It is possible to put column constraints on a columns, so fx it is only allowed to have 10 issues in one column, and if there is more, it turns read.

I need some way to do this but with time, so if issues are in a column longer than fx 4 hours, the column or the specifik issues turns read.

OR, I need to know th JQL to just filter out all the issues that has been in the same column for more than four hours. I thought the JQL would be something like timeinsourcestatus<4h, but that is not possible to choose

Does it make more sense now? :)

Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2019

We are talking about boards? Then the question is not about Jira Core but Jira Software. check @Ste answer

Suggest an answer