How do I open an issue in 'View' screen

Nawaz November 21, 2019

I tried to hide a field from the 'Edit' screen and made it visible in the 'View' and 'Create' screens only. Now, when I click on the issue from a board or from the search results, it issues seems to open the issue in 'Edit' screen by default. I mean, all the fields are editable(ofcourse, except the file I hid). I am coming from a TFS background, so, in TFS, you need to click the 'Save' button to save your changes but in Jira, all the fields are by default seem to be editable right after you open the issue (i.e going to Edit screen straight).

How do I see the 'View' screen of the issue so I can see my field that I have hidden? 

1 answer

0 votes
Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2019

What you are seeing when you open a ticket is the view screen, on it you will only see system fields and custom fields with values on it. Meaning that if the custom fields are null, those won't show up. Within the view screen you can edit fields as you describe (only this you set on the edit screen), but that's not the edit screen. Try opening a ticket and then press the key on your keyboard, that will pop up the edit screen in which you need to "save" your changes as you are used to.

Nawaz November 22, 2019

Thanks for the reply Hernan. I used the e key on my keyboard and nothing popped up. I am trying this on Jira cloud. Not sure if that is the reason.

Anyway, my question was how do I view the issue in the 'View' screen? Because I have made my custom field visible only in the 'View' screen and Jira appers to always open the issue in the 'Edit' screen (and thus my hidden field can never been seen if it continues to do this)

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2019

Most likely the e key failed because you were seeing the ticket from an agile board.

The url you should see should be something like 

https://youcompany.atlassian.net/browse/SUM-3

Where SUM-3 is the issue key.

If that's the case, then what you see on the screen is the view screen. As I stated, the view screen also works as edit screen if the fields were added to the edit screen in the first place, else you won't be able to edit those 

Nawaz November 25, 2019

Yes, thats the url I am looking at. Fields in this screen are editable.

So basically, if a bunch of fields in the View screen are actually also present in the Edit screen, then the view screen will become Edit screen since those bunch of fields need to remain editable there also? Did I get that right?

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 25, 2019

Correct, that is the case. If they are not in the edit screen, then you can just view them

Like Nawaz likes this
Nawaz November 25, 2019

Thanks very much @Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group . This solved my problem

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events