How do I move board columns in a Business Project?

Jamie Davies October 6, 2021

Hi, 

I'd like to move my board in the business project around I.e Return to sender after in progress. 
But every time I try to move them it tells me to check my internet connection. 

Is there any way to move these? 

jiraa.png

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2021

Hi Jamie,

This looks to be something that is broken with the latest board release. I am checking on it as I get the same error. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2021

Hi @Jamie Davies  - I got some feedback. If you go the workflow used by the board and do an Edit of the workflow and then Publish it, it should all be good again. I know you might not have a draft workflow already going, but this works. And, yes, I know you shouldn't have to do that, but until they get a fix, that's the necessary work around. 

Like Stooz The Stoozer likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2021

@Jamie Davies  - Did this work for you? 

Jamie Davies October 15, 2021

@John Funk It did!! Just tired it thanks

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2021

Great!

0 votes
RM February 22, 2022

The only way I've found to permanently reorder the boards on a business project is to:

1. get a copy of your workflow JSON using the API
    curl --url 'https://yourworkspace.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/workflow/search?workflowName=MyWorkflowName&expand=transitions,transitions.rules,transitions.properties,statuses,statuses.properties' --user 'yourcredentials'
  2. tweak the JSON to fit the accepted format for creating the workflow with the API
    1. remove screen names
    2. remove status names
    3. remove transition IDs
    4. change "conditionTree" to "conditions"
    5. remove "nodeType"
    6. remove all default postFunctions
    7. correct validators that use "field" or "fields" instead of "fieldId" and "fieldIds"
    8. move "name" from the "id" block, put it in the root, and change it to a name for your new workflow
    9. remove "id", "created" and "deleted" from the root
    10. PUT THE STATUSES IN THE ORDER YOU WANT THE COLUMNS
  3. recreate the workflow from the JSON using the API. Assumes your new json is in 'body.json'.:
    curl -v --request POST --url 'https://yourworkspace.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/workflow' --data '@body.json' --user 'yourcredentials' --header 'Content-Type: application/json
  4. reassign the new workflow to your board

Have fun with that one.

0 votes
MNeverOff February 5, 2022

UPD: was doing this from a tablet. Now it's rearrangeable via drag-n-drop of columns, sorry to bother you gents!

@John Funk @Jack Brickey hey folks,

I just encountered the same issue when my workflow steps order gets completely disregarded by the Business Board and I have no control over it. Saving and publishing a draft doesn’t help.

Seems like Atlassian fixed the only workaround for this bug? You know! Instead of the actual issue 😂

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2022

I don't think the intent is for the board to automatically put columns in order on your board based on your workflow. For instance, what if the workflow has you going from one status to 3 different ones? Which would it put in what order. 

So it will add your column to the board for the new status, but you will need to drag into the proper orde on the board. 

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2021

You cannot do this on the default board. Your only option would be to create another board for your project and set the location to your profile and then add a shortcut to to board on the sidebar. 

Doods Perea October 8, 2021

When was this implemented @Jack Brickey?  I can remember a few months ago I was able to move columns in Business project boards.

Thank you. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2021

I cannot say for sure what you were seeing before vs. today. Default business boards have been in place for a couple of years now to the best of my recollection.

Jamie Davies October 13, 2021

I wish they would just allow it to work again.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events