How do I make someone an administrator?

Walther Hoffman August 17, 2018

I'm brand new to JIRA. I would like to make a coworker a JIRA admin so they have more control over a set of projects. How can I go about doing that? 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2018

Hello,

There are three kinds of admins in Jira Cloud. You should choose the one, you want to grant:

site-admins - these users can manage billing, users, restore Jira and so on. You grant the site-admins permission by including a user to the site-admins group.

Jira administrators - they can create projects, create backups, manage workflow schemes and so on. You can grant  Jira administrator to a user by including this user to any group, which is defined for the Administer Jira permission in the Global permissions. You can find more info about Global permissions here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/managing-global-permissions-776636359.html

Project administrators - these users can create components, versions in a project. They have limited permissions to edit workflows, screen. They can assign users to roles. If you want to make a user as a Project administrator, you should grant the Administer Project permission to this user in the project permission scheme. You can find more info on project permission schemes here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/project-permissions-868982873.html

Walther Hoffman August 20, 2018

Thanks! Your answer guided me exactly where I needed to go. 

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2018

You are welcome!

Joshua Sabol November 20, 2019

Link is broken.  Takes to blank page

AC March 16, 2023

We don't see Global Permissions when we follow the instructions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events