Filter subscriptions are not appearing the same for all subscribers

Carolyn Nelson February 15, 2018

The view of the filter that is received via email when a user subscribes to a filter is not the saved columns for the filter.

Steps to recreate:

1.  Create Filter 1 with Filter columns A, B, C.  Save the filter.  Share the filter.

2.  Set up a subscription for everyone in Group Z to receive the filter.

Expected result:

1.  Each person in Group Z receives an email with the filter showing columns A, B, C

Actual results:

1.  Person 1 in Group Z receives an email with the filter showing columns A, B, C

2.  Person 2 in Group Z receives an email with the filter showing columns A, D, E, F.

How do we ensure that every subscriber receives the same columns in the email notification of the filter?

3 answers

1 vote
Donald Singleton September 27, 2021

Thanks for this great discussion. I ran into the same issue. I had to rebuild the filter, set my columns and then save. Saving after I set my columns appears to have fixed the issue. 

1 vote
Suzanne Seaton October 10, 2018

I tested this extensively today and the filter subscription is being emailed with whatever columns the user is displaying in their issue navigator at the time that the email is generated. It does not send the report with the columns saved to the report. 

Antonio A March 13, 2019

Hi Suzanne,

Were you able to resolve the issue.  I am in the same situation.

Carolyn Nelson March 13, 2019

I thought I figured this out, but maybe it is still not working, and people are too busy to let me know :-).  Try this and see if it works.  It seems that if you create the filter and save it, THEN try to change the Filter's columns, they won't save.  You have to set the Filter columns and then change the JQL in some slight way and then execute the changed filter (with the magnifying glass) and then SAVE for it to pick up the Filter columns.  Then, of course, you would want to change the JQL back to what it should be and SAVE again.  I thought that ensured that the subscription would go out with the saved Filter columns.  Since we started doing this, I haven't had any users reporting the wrong columns.

Suzanne Seaton March 13, 2019

I think Carolyn is right! But sometimes it still acts a little goofy for me. And yes, usually I'm too busy to troubleshoot. ;) 

Antonio A March 13, 2019

It seems that in the Columns tab there are 3 options "My Defaults", "Filter" and "System".  The correct settings on the search were on "My Defaults".  I set the same settings under "System" and it works as expected.

Nikki DuBois April 11, 2023

If you update System though it effects everyone and their default.

0 votes
Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2018

Hey! @Carolyn Nelson I'm not 100% sure but I think the subscriptions are based on someone's default column fields. (My Defaults vs Filter) But I have noticed this before on one of my subscriptions. It might be helpful to set up a dashboard for everyone to look at with the fields necessary. 

Hopefully someone else can provide feedback as well.

Carolyn Nelson February 15, 2018

Thank you for your quick response, Brittany.  I hope this is not the case, or else what is the point of subscriptions?  From time to time I've set up filters for people/teams to give them a way of monitoring specific processes.  I was wondering why they weren't as excited about them as I was!  It makes sense now, if they were just seeing a list of issues with random, unrelated columns.  Silly.

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2018

@Carolyn Nelson it does seem silly! I would do a spot check of Person 1 and Person 2's 'My Defaults' and see if that could be the case in the email situation. 

If not, I just tested out your problem in my own instance. You might want to try to save a new filter after setting the columns. 

So I created a 'Filter A' and when I saved it it only save 'My Default' columns, then I modified the Filter Columns and saved again as 'Filter B' and it saved/sent me a filter subscription of only the columns I selected in the 'Filter Columns' of 'Filter B' whereas 'Filter A' sent me 'My Defaults'. 

Seems a bit tedious, but maybe you could test out some troubleshooting that way? 

Fingers crossed for good results! 

Suggest an answer