Error when attaching files: JIRA could not attach the file as there was a missing token.

jhaughton February 14, 2018

Hi All,

We have a user who's unable to attach files to JIRA issues and receives the following errors when she tries:

-----------------------------------------

File "<<filename.ext>>" was not uploaded

JIRA could not attach the file as there was a missing token. Please try attaching the file again

-----------------------------------------

She's tried in various browsers, on various issues and with different file types (.jpg, .pdf, .png) and gets the same error every time. It doesn't matter how long she's been logged in to JIRA, and she's tried clearing her cache. Still no joy.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

Jodie

8 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2018

You already excluded the size of the attachment as the source of this error?

Eventually, this post can help further.

jhaughton February 14, 2018

Hi @Thomas Deiler, thanks for the reply. Yep, file size has already been ruled out. It's happening with all file formats from approx. 11kB upwards.

Will have a look at the HAR file option. Thank you for the input.

Like Deleted user likes this
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2018

@Patrick_Jonas, welcome for what?

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2018

Dear @jhaughton,

have you meanwhile fixed your problem?

So long

Thomas

Like Deleted user likes this
3 votes
Trilok Singh Vinjrawat September 1, 2020

I had to refresh the Jira page and it worked. Maybe the Jira session had timed out. Also, trying to login again would fix it. 

Harshitha Kadambala July 4, 2023

It worked for me, thanks.

Like Thalia likes this
0 votes
Hamid Mohamadi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 3, 2024

In my case logout and login again fixed the problem

0 votes
Michael.Sostmann-ext April 6, 2023

Agree with others: refresh the page - then it works.

0 votes
Kiran seby October 24, 2022

Hi all
I too was facing the same issue.
Got it fixed once I refreshed the link & tried again

0 votes
Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2021

Disabling cache in dev tools did not work in my user's case. She was able to upload the file after creating the issue/task - so there is at least a work around on my side.

0 votes
Deleted user June 27, 2018

Suffering this constantly on up to date Firefox, very disgusting. Any open bug about it? I cannot think about restaring sessions all the time

0 votes
jhaughton February 20, 2018

Hi @Thomas Deiler,

Unfortunately not. When I went to get the HAR file from the user's machine it magically started working again!! It turns out that when the 'Disable Cache' option is checked in Chrome Dev Tools she can attach files with no issue. But as soon as this is unticked again in a new browser session it fails again.

The curious thing is that the attachments failing happens with *all* browsers, so it can't just be a Chrome cache issue.

I'm not sure how much use a HAR file will be if I try and get it without checking Disable Cache (as advised here), but getting that and sending it off to Atlassian is the only thing I can think of at the moment.

Any additional wisdom or ideas would be much appreciated...because this has me totally stumped.

Many thanks,

Jodie

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 20, 2018

Dear @jhaughton,

sound's like an issue for Atlassian. They are supporting Chrome so eventually they can fix around. 

So long

Thomas

Like Yunki Lee likes this
jhaughton February 21, 2018

Hi @Thomas Deiler

Just to provide a bit of closure on this one...we tried the same user on my machine and there were no issues, so it's looking more like an issue with her laptop build than anything else. I've handed the ticket over to our Desktop Support guys who, if they can't work out the issue, will be doing a rebuild. So, it's not really a solution, but it's as close as we're going to get for now.

Thank you for your efforts...genuinely appreciated,

Jodie

Like Zita Bagi likes this
Thalia February 2, 2022

Did they have to rebuild? We’ve just found your article as we’ve had the same issue! 

Bryan.Lumije September 20, 2022

I have same issue, has this been fixed now? error.jpg

George Pistachio October 21, 2022

I also have the same issue and made sure to check Developer Tools to see Disable Cache was not checked, restarted chrome, cleared cache, logged out and logged in. Is this issue fixed yet?

fuck jira.png

yuanyuan_zeng July 19, 2023

@George Pistachio hello, do u fix above issue?

Suggest an answer