Can't see avatars

Geert Polmans January 25, 2017

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Unable To See User Avatars In JIRA - Only See Default Image

All settings are set correctly as in the article above, still people don't see the avatars. They actually dissapear, and may come back next time you login. I can always see my own avatar, but from other people they regularly dissapear.

One of my colleagues said, that when he checked his avatar in his profile, it disappeared there as well. And he had to set it up again. 

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2017

You should open a ticket with Atlassian Support:

https://support.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/23

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2018

Atlassian has updated their support portal link so that previous link won't work anymore.  Currently I would recommend using https://support.atlassian.com/contact/ in order to create a support request.

Mobjan December 9, 2019

I'm new here, Thanks for the link,

2 votes
john_abraham_hba April 11, 2018

Everyone, I discovered after many months that if you have zoomed in with the browser, the avatar disappears off the bottom and can't been seem.  So, if you have this problem, try resetting your browser zoom to default.   

It's a little hard to believe that it took months to solve this problem. Hopefully by posting here I'll save someone else a few hours, days, weeks or months.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 12, 2018

Thanks for posting back to this thread with your solution.

Eric Bergeron January 18, 2024

Thank you for sharing. On our end, it did not resolve the issue, occuring for only one user out of +100. 

1 vote
Ben Newton March 19, 2018

My team is having this issue also. I do not have Ghostery installed or any other blocking extension. I can see my own avatar but not my team members'

Really frustrating when trying to quickly see who something is assigned to.

Paul van den Dool March 20, 2018

Hi Ben,

I gather you disabled all your extensions to see if that was the issue?

If you're able and you open web inspector, can you see any errors? Or can you see that the image is there in the HTML?

Ben Newton March 20, 2018

Hi Paul,

So I got it working by going to global settings and adding myself (an admin) to the jira software group. I'd be more specific but I can't find my way back to global settings.

I also have no idea why that would have resolved the issue, but it did.

I love Jira but as far as counter intuitive rabbit warrens it is the market leader. 

Like # people like this
Paul van den Dool March 21, 2018

😅

0 votes
Rudy Bañuelos January 8, 2020

A little late to the party. I have this issue. My variant is that the avatar will appear for a specific JSD, jira-service-Customer, and not appear within different views on JSD.

The customer avatar appears in the Project, project name, Settings, People view, but does not appear in a support request, issue. 

Leads me to believe I may have a double account or a mis-configured role or permission. 

I cannot rule out user error, but I am now in charge of making it right. 

0 votes
Sean Kvingedal January 29, 2018

I am having the same issues. I upload an avatar, it shows up. I come back later and reload my project and it's gone again. This has happened 4x. I am using the Trial version right now

Paul van den Dool January 29, 2018

Hi Sean,

For me, a browser extension for some reason blocked the avatars. In my case, it was the Ghostery extension. Perhaps that's happening for you too.

0 votes
Sarah Wilkerson May 25, 2017

I have seen some user's avatars disappear as well but it just started in April 2017.  The users say they did not remove it.  The user has to upload a new one.  We're on Jira Cloud. 

Paul van den Dool June 1, 2017

I came here with a similar issue. I didn't see the avatar for some people on Bitbucket which we host locally.
When logging in on this community page, I noticed I couldn't see my own avatar here too. When trying to follow the image link I noticed a chrome extension was blocking it.

I use Ghostery as an addblocker and it blocked all Gravatar images. Allowing Gravatar images solved it for me on this page and on Bitbucket. Maybe this info is of use to you.

Sarah Wilkerson June 1, 2017

Thank you Paul.  Atlassian responded to my ticket and said they could see them.  Once I retried, they were back.  If it happens again, I will look into the blocker.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events