Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk Move Vs CSV Export/Import ? Which one is better?

rekha Velur June 15, 2021

I have a requirement to move a set of Epics to another project. And the Epics are in flight already. I am finding it difficult to decide between Bulk move and CSV Export-import. 

My biggest concern is the loss of data.

3 comments

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2021

Hi Rekha,

I would do a Move in that case. Write a filter something like:

key = ABC-123 and "Epic Link" = ABC-123

where ABC-123 is the key of the Epic. The second parts get all issues that have that as the Epic. 

Then do a Bulk Move on the results. 

rekha Velur June 17, 2021

Thank you John!

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2021

To copy from one project to another, again you would use the bulk change/move functionality. 

Run a filter for all of the issues you want to move.

Then click the 3 dots menu in the upper right side and select Bulk Change

Select all of the issues (you can only do 1,000 at a time) and choose Next

Select Move and choose Next

Follow the prompts from there. 

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2021

Bulk Move is better since CSV Import won't keep the Status information.  

Some considerations:

1. Statuses: Make sure that the statuses from one project to another remain the same or you will have to ensure the mapping for the statuses. For example if you have "Open" in project 1 and project 2 doesn't have this status, be ready to determine what the status would be replaced with. 

2. Custom Fields in Screens: If project 1 has field "epic classification" and project 2 doesn't in the screens, you may want to talk to the admin to make sure the field is in all Create/Edit/View screens.  

Regards

Thank you, Fabian!

I see that there is some amount of data loss in both approaches. What is the best way to move or copy issues from one project to another in the Jira cloud?

Like jessica_lois_maxwell likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events