Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to archive "program increment". What happens?

Joe May 10, 2024

Question is straight forward.  I have to archive my old planning increments.  What happens to all my work items when I do that?

Here are some questions...

• What happens to non-accepetd items?
  • Can I 'un-archive' my PIs?
    • If yes, does anything happen?
  • If I archive my PI are work items still editable?

Anything I can't undo?

Thanks all!

-joe

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bhanu Prakash May 12, 2024

@Joe , I will answer this question solely from the Jira Align New Navigation Perspective.

From a Visibility standpoint:

When you archive an old Planning Increment/Program Increment (PI), 

1. When you select a Program, PI's that are archived will not be visible in the PI drop down field
  2. When you Create/Edit a Work Items, the PI archived will not be visible. 

Note

When a PI is archived, Consider it as a PI that is hidden from plain view, Its not deleted per say, its just hidden away for convenience. 

Here are some answers that you wanted. 

• What happens to non-accepted items?
    • Nothing happens, All Non -Accepted items will still display the PI values even if the PI is archived. 
  • Can I 'un-archive' my PIs? If yes, does anything happen?
    • Yes you can unarchive your PI's, Select the "Items" drop down ==> select Program Increment ==> search and Select a PI ==> Update Status <> Archive (Anything other than Archive status). 
    • Only thing that it changes is the PI will be visible going forward.
  • If I archive my PI are work items still editable?
    • Yes, Work Items will still be editable.
    • However if you change your PI From 24.2(Archived) to 24.3 and Save it, For some reason you want to update 24.2 again, the option of selecting the PI 24.2 will not be available unless you unarchive the PI. 

Joe May 13, 2024

I appreciate the feedback.  Is there any documentation published on when to archive a PI?  1 year post PI close?  What benefit will archiving a PI provide?  Any application specific improvements?

-joe

Jennelle Stearns
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2024

@Joe There isn't any published documentation because it is really up to each company and their governance process.  When you archive the PI, it also hides it from people being able to select it on views/reports like the roadmap, reports, etc.  So, how far back are people in your organization looking?  If it is only 1 year, then, for example, at the beginning of 2024, you would have archived 2022's PI's (I am assuming anything earlier is already archived in this example).

Like Bhanu Prakash likes this
Joe May 16, 2024

Thanks for the feedback.  I was thinking the same.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events