Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to bulk update features "Teams" Field ( Program Board --> Quick View ) in Jira Align?

Bhanu Prakash April 27, 2024

Hello Jira Align Admins and Users, 

Navigation Steps to reach the field that i am asking about: 

1. Go to Jira Align in New Navigation, Select a Program from the Top Tier.

2. In left Navigation select Program Increment.

3. Select Program Board ==> All Features for each team will be displayed. 

4. Select a Feature ==> Feature will be opened in Quick View. 

5. Selected Feature will be opened in Quick View and Quick View Will have only 2 fields( Teams and Team Target Completion Iterations).

Question

Is there a way i can bulk edit "Teams" field in Quick View (Program Board) ? 

2 answers

0 votes
Ahmet Kilic _catworkx April 29, 2024

Hey @Bhanu Prakash

Feature in Jira Align has no assignment directly to the Team. This is inherited information from the Story level assignment. 

The Program Board displays the story assignment.

You have to navigate the Team where you want to make bulk updates. And then please follow the instructions. There are some ways to make bulk update/mass move for sure. See the article below:

I hope, this helps.

Kind regards,

Ahmet

Bhanu Prakash April 29, 2024

@Ahmet Kilic _catworkx , 

thank you for your time and useful information, We are not looking for Bulk updates on the feature, but a way to update information in Quick View (Program Board--> Click on a Feature--> Want to update Teams field)

Ahmet Kilic _catworkx April 29, 2024

No problem. Happy to help you with. Let's try again.

Please correct me if I get you wrong.

1. You open up program board
  2. Click on a feature and you see "Team" in quick view
    1. Do you want to update the "Team" field of the Feature you clicked on?
      1. If yes: once again -> Jira Align Feature itself is holding no team by design. These are inherited information bottom-up from Stories.
    2. Or do You want to Update the "Team" field of the Stories connected to this Feature you clicked on?
      1. If yes: currently it is not possible in the UI of the Program Board.
0 votes
Steve Sauser
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2024

@Bhanu Prakash Thank you for your question!

Program Board - Teams:

• This field is unique to this page only at this time, however there is logic to auto-assign a Team based upon that/those teams having at least 1 Story (any issue type mapped to Story) parented by the Feature itself.  
  • There is not currently an API that will update the Program Board itself, but you could leverage Automation for Jira to populate a "base story" (just nominal information that will be changed later by the team) under the Epic (Jira Feature) and you will have populated the Teams field once the sync from Jira to JA has completed.  

Program Board - Team Target Completion Sprints:

• This field also is unique to the Program Board itself and does not populate based upon any other system action.  
  • There is not currently an API that will update the Program Board itself.  
  • Bulk update here would be unexpected as each individual Team should be empowered to plan their work in their sprint and each team would need to set their own Target Completion Sprint. 

Would you be willing to provide a little more detail on your expected outcomes and any process you envision to occur using some sort of bulk update?  

Bhanu Prakash April 29, 2024

@Steve Sauser 

Thank you for your clarification on the question. I see that you have already addressed that there is no API at this point for the Fields in Quick View(Program  Board). 

Current Situation

PO's and SM's who use Jira Align feel that they need to do manual updates in the Quick View every time there is a feature created. Which they don't want to do.

Users Expect that Team field(present in Quick View) in Jira align Features also sync from Jira like how story synchronizes. Which i know currently is not possible.

Question:
Can you explain more about "logic to auto-assign a Team based upon that/those teams having at least 1 Story (any issue type mapped to Story) parented by the Feature itself."  

Any Link that you  can share so that i can refer to it.

Your Question
Would you be willing to provide a little more detail on your expected outcomes and any process you envision to occur using some sort of bulk update?  

Answer
There are a bunch of Features which are specific to one team, This features span across a Quarter, We would like to assign these Features  with the team name in Bulk (or) Automatically based on  the  Stories in it if  possible.

Steve Sauser
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2024

@Bhanu Prakash Absolutely!  

Just as a precursor I do want to state that there is working being done in the space of teams to features that would potentially reduce this friction.  I don't have all the details (Product is currently in Exploration), but watch for future announcements. 

Logic to Assign Teams to Features through stories (Data Center):

• We will start with the addon (free) - Automation for Jira 
  • This is currently only available in Data Center, if your implementation is cloud I will provide a secondary addon. 
  • Select "Documentation" from the bottom right of the screen. 
  • The resulting page will be the documenation, it will be important to read the basics, but to your specific case expand "Get started with Jira Automation", then expand "Automation basics" and selec the "Use the Jira automation template library". 
  • In the section called "View pre-defined automation rules" select the Automation template library 
  • You will find multiple pre-defined rules that you can leverage as a base to accomplish the goal.  

Logic to Assign Teams to Features through stories (Cloud):

• Addon (does have costs associated, review the Pricing Tab) - ScriptRunner for Jira 
  • This will require a little more indepth knowledge in the coding space, but you also have the ability to interact with Adaptavist to ask some questions about how you might accomplish a given outcome. 
    • When a Feature is created create a story for each team identified in a multi-select drop down. 
    • When a team is added to a Feature through this multi-select drop down create a story for the team. 
  • While this is a little more complex and would likely require some fields to be created it would serve the purpose you are seeking.  

I believe this would at least assist with getting the right teams identified and a base story created so that it would populate on the Quick View, however at current state I don't see any appropriate method (due to the lack of the API) to set the Team Target Completion Sprint, this would still require the Team level PO/SM and/or team to know which ones they need to set the value upon.  

I hope this helps.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events