Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Topic Tuesday: Diversity training is a joke

Mary Ramirez Community Leader Aug 13, 2019

Catchy title there huh? :) 

But let's dig deeper, is diversity training a joke? Do companies get anything valuable out of it? Are we just checking off a box? Just to say we did it? Or are people really learning?

Well many years ago, I use to work for an organization that forced us to go to Equal opportunity/sexual assault prevention 101 courses every quarter. Leading up to it, everyone was dragging their feet. Complaining and loading up on red bull in an effort to stay awake. I mean...so was I. I remember thinking, this again >.< I already know how to act. 

Interestingly enough, I came across this HBR article stating that "study of 829 companies over 31 years showed that diversity training had “no positive effects in the average workplace.” Millions of dollars a year were spent on the training resulting in, well, nothing. Attitudes — and the diversity of the organizations — remained the same."

So I'd like to hear what other think. Is diversity training effective? Is there an alternative to keep company values and culture in line?

Reference: https://hbr.org/2012/03/diversity-training-doesnt-work

1 comment

Interesting article, thank you for sharing.

I believe company culture is top-down.  If the leaders do not genuinely care about diversity and do not proactively dance to the same drum beat, then I agree that diversity training may not be effective.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you