Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2019

A friend recently recommended this book to me. Has anyone read it yet? If so, what are your thoughts? The authour explains how an expert's ability to "thin slice" can be corrupted by their likes and dislikes, prejudices, and stereotypes (even unconscious ones).

Here is a summary of some themes and topics in the book, it's 14 years old but I was told worth a read. I have just requested it on my Libby App (Library e-reader) 

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (2005) is Malcolm Gladwell's second book. It presents in popular science format research from psychology and behavioral economics on the adaptive unconscious: mental processes that work rapidly and automatically from relatively little information. It considers both the strengths of the adaptive unconscious, for example in expert judgment, and its pitfalls, such as stereotypes.

1 comment

Comment

Dara November 4, 2019

I haven't read the book (yet), but it is now on my wish-list, thank you!

And, because it would feel wrong for me not to add this:

Don't blink.gif

Like Kerry Wano likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2019

Thanks Dara, love that gif! :)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events