Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you disable XSRF checking in Jira 8.x

Steve Lyons July 13, 2021

When using a reverse proxy (F5 LTM + APM Portal Access resource), there are consistent post from the client via rest and each response from the Jira server is a 403 resulting in a failed XSRF check.  Looking at all of the GET and POST, I see a jsessionid and csrf token but for some reason the XSRF check still fails based on the Wireshark captures on the server side.

I have attempted the no-check header option with no success and not sure what else to do.  Any insight is greatly appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Steve Lyons July 17, 2021

Issue resolved based on the article (REST API calls and User-Agent headers) below but a little more info for anyone that may run into this in the future.  If using LTM only for load balancing purposes, I am able to successfully able to access and authenticate to the Jira webpage and the functionality is great.

Once I introduced LTM + APM I began to see 403s (XSRF check failed) when the client sent a POST.  This occurred whether I was just using APM to authenticate to a pool member or using a portal access resource.  Due to these errors, images would not load when viewing projects and other items within Jira.

Jira1.png

After reviewing the article regarding User-Agent headers for API calls, I created a local traffic policy to remove the User-Agent header from all POST HTTP methods.  (Note, this can be done via iRule or local traffic policy)

Jira2.png

Then reviewing a capture on the Jira server, you will see all POST's, no longer have the User-Agent header included and this does not include any other HTTP method.

Jira3.png

As a result, loading the same page that resulted in the XSRF check failed error, now load.

Jira4.png

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/rest-api-calls-with-a-browser-user-agent-header-may-fail-csrf-checks-802591455.html

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events