How Can I Access The jira-config.properties File?

Jira Devtest August 13, 2021

I am not new new to Jira. I've been using it for 10 years and I've been system administrator for 4 years. So I'm not a newbie. I am admittedly new to AWS.

I recently stood up a Jira stack on AWS just to see if I could do it. It was challenging but I did it. It works fine with the exception that AWS works completely differently from the Jira Server that I'm used to. With the latter I used to be able to access the jira-config.properties file lickety split. No problem. Restart Jira in Apache and all my changes were good to go. But I can't figure it out on AWS. The whole file structure and the way it works is alien to me,

I've tried following the online help but no help. Anybody else running into this problem?

TIA

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2021

Jira on AWS is no different to Jira on your own hardware, it doesn't have a different file structure or behaviour.   If you've used the quick-start for a DC node to create it, there's a few of the manual install steps you can skip because they're done for you, but it still creates a pretty standard structure.

You mention jira-config.properties file, which suggests to me that your experience is with older Jira installations, and leads me to suggest the "completely differently" is actually down to the versions, not the install.

Not too long ago (early 8.x), Atlassian did some work on making swapping from Server to DC easier.  You used to have to mess with a load of files and settings to convert (in either direction), but now, given a working Jira Server, all you do is apply a DC licence to it, and you have a running DC cluster with a single node.  (You then have to mess with some config files if you want to add nodes, but even that is heavily simplified - you'll spend more time messing with your networking and load balancers than the actual node config)

It was a bit more complex than this, but the main changes were to make the default installed config files the same and the home directory structure the same.  You can't tell the difference between a Jira Server and a Jira DC node install from the directory structure or config files before they're first run.  So I think your "completely differently" means you've spotted that the home directory is different because your AWS install is on a later version than your old server.

And going back to jira-config.properties - Jira installations stopped creating that file many versions ago, the default install does not need it any more.  If you have one, that's fine, either you're looking at an old version that did need it, or one of your admins has had a reason to use one of the flags that go in it, so they've created one and put the flag in it.  For a new install, you won't have one.  But it's just a text file, fire up a text editor, add the flags you want and save it in the home directory.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events