Set up space, invited team, now what?

Kirstin Schneider November 18, 2019

Hi, I've set up a new space (am new to confluence) and invited other users.

The users can log in and see the space, but can't seem to edit or add to it. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

For example, there's a page for meeting minutes. They can't add any content to this page. Why not? Do they need to see a little pencil in the top right? Why can't they see this?

Also, when I edit content rather than structure, on something like meeting minutes, I need to click on the pencil, edit, then publish. Is this right, or am I doing something wrong? Shouldn't I be able to just add content without going through this step?

Thanks for your help.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Poorvi Jhawar
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 18, 2019

Hi @Kirstin Schneider 

The users can log in and see the space, but can't seem to edit or add to it. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Can you please confirm they have the correct permission for it? https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/assign-space-permissions-139460.html

For example, there's a page for meeting minutes. They can't add any content to this page. Why not? Do they need to see a little pencil in the top right? Why can't they see this?

There is a lock button on top of the page which you need to make sure that has been unlocked. Please see below

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 4.39.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-19 at 4.39.41 PM.png

Also, when I edit content rather than structure, on something like meeting minutes, I need to click on the pencil, edit, then publish. Is this right, or am I doing something wrong? Shouldn't I be able to just add content without going through this step?

This is right, you have to click on edit to edit the page, it autosaves however for everyone to see the changes - you'll need to publish it. 

Hope this helps. Let me know how you go. 

I would appreciate you accepting the answer if it answers your questions. :)

Cheers

Poorvi

Thanks @Poorvi Jhawar 

I think they have the right permissions? 

The lock is definitely unlocked on each page - it's the free version

Thanks for confirming the edit process. I'm still not sure why my users can't edit also. I think I've set them all up with admin access.

0 votes
Stan Ry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2019

Hi,

Check space permissions as well. The are assigned top-down. That is you assing space permissions first, and then if you want to modify access level for a specific page, you can use the lock sign to set access rights on a specific page.

0 votes
Kiran Panduga {Appfire}
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2019

Hi @Kirstin Schneider , 

Looks like the page restrictions are applied, due to which 

If you restrict viewing to a person or group, only they will be able to see that page and all its child pages (unless there are further restrictions on the child pages).

View restrictions are inherited, which means a restriction applied to one page will cascade down to any child pages.  Edit restrictions are not inherited, which means pages need to be restricted individually. 

Can you look at the parent page to verify that view restrictions are applied? For more detail information on Page restrictions, please review the below KB.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/page-restrictions-139414.html

Thanks,

Kiran.

0 votes
Pete Dunham November 18, 2019

@Kirstin Schneider 

You will need to tweak your permissions for the space.

If you have admin ability it is in the "Space Settings" (see screenshot):Screenshot 2019-11-18 22.25.37.png

To open it up to all confluence users than make sure to check "Add" to Pages column for confluence-users. These can be expanded once you decide what you want.

For the second part of your question.  Yes, there are two separate modes for viewing and editing. So clicking the pencil and then publishing is the correct mechanics. I can appreciate if this seems strange -- its simply a mindshift if you came from a world of say Word when you are generally always in Edit model. The benefit with Confluence is that once content is curated in "View" model is much easier for users to consume the information.

Good luck!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events