Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to import word file in confluence from desktop folder without any loss

Edited

Dear team,

I am working on documentation using confluence but whenever I have tried to import word file from desktop folder it won't work ,format and pictures distorted. Please guide me how I can use confluence in efficient and effective manner for documentation.

1 answer

2 votes
Bill Bailey Community Leader Nov 29, 2021

I have been using Confluence for documentation for nearly a decade. The route I take is to use the PDF plugin from K15t to generate PDFs directly, rather than going to Word. But they also have a Word exporter that I have also used, and it works well.

https://www.k15t.com/software 

@Bill Bailey  Please elaborate ,confluence has feature to import word file but after using it won't work like distorted format ,no pictures ,wrong indexing ,share your suggestions if you have any to cope up with it and few tips for documentation.

Bill Bailey Community Leader Nov 30, 2021

Sorry, I think I misread your question. For import you MUST clean the Word file first:

1. Delete any title page
  2. Delete any ToC, Indexes, etc.
  3. Delete header and footers
  4. Important! Verify that you are using the builtin formats, like Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. If the source doc was manually formatted, you will have to reformat it correctly.

ONCE you have imported the document, if you DONT have returns between paragaphs, you will need to edit the page source (need the page storage code editor), then use Regex to replace <br> with </p></p>, and the clean out span tags that have manual formatting. 

Then you will finally be able to go through the page to manually clean it up.

Bill Bailey Community Leader Nov 30, 2021

Also, let me refer you to this in-depth article:

Michelle-s-quot-Five-Stages-of-Word-Import-quot-Survival-Guide 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence Cloud

🏠 Say hello to the new Confluence Home!

Hi Atlassian Community, My name is DJ Chung, and I’m a Product Manager on the Confluence Cloud team. Today, I’m excited to share a new and improved version of Home. The new Home helps you ...

43,851 views 33 137
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you