Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling HTML Macro in Confluence OnDemand

JohnB November 9, 2012

I'm running a confluence OnDemand instance and I'd like to insert JavaScript into a page to insert a Google Chart.

My understanding is I need to enable the "HTML" Marco to allow me to insert raw HTML markup (like JavaScript).

However the "Enabling HTML macros" page mentions that it does not work with Confluence OnDemand:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Enabling+HTML+macros

I cannot see any "HTML" Macros in my "Manage Plugins" page.

Am I doing it wrong? How can I get HTML into a page!?

Thanks,

Frustasted OnDemand User

8 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tim
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2016

Hi John,

It's many years later now, but I thought it might still help you or others who stumble upon this question.

We've created a HTML macro as part of our toolbox of useful Confluence Cloud macros. It lets you securely embed any custom HTML and JS into any Confluence page or blog.

Try it here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1215202

Tim

JohnB May 12, 2016

image2016-5-12 14:22:51.png

It does seem like it works cheeky – Using the HTML macro I just threw in the Google Tag Manager code and used that to load GA (and anything else we want in the future)

Any ideas on:

• Retroactively adding a tag to all pages?
  • Adding a specific macro so if we have to change the tag (I used Tag Managers to avoid this but it may come up)
  • Setting it up so its added by default to all new pages?
JohnB May 12, 2016

Oh, also, thanks laugh 

Tim
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2016

Retroactively adding a tag to all pages?
Setting it up so its added by default to all new pages?

I’ve done some digging through the docs and web and with Cloud I haven't yet found any easy ways to retroactively add a macro to multiple pages or make it a default for new pages. Potentially could use a page template but you’d have to remember to select it when you create a page which isn’t ideal.

Adding a specific macro...

A macro specifically for GTM could be a possibility. Out of interest, are you using Tag Manager + GA to help measure your team's engagement in Confluence?

Nar Kumar C_ - Narva Software
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 7, 2020

FYI company behind Macro Toolbox was acquired by Atlassian and they decided to discontinue this app (including HTML Macro). 

As an alternative option, you can use our app HTML Macro for Confluence

available in Marketplace.

2 votes
TJ Baker November 24, 2014

How about allowing the addition of HTML or Javascript from your own system at least, so we can embed a JIRA Issue Collector?  

1 vote
SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2012

Hey John,

Fraid' it isn't possible to use the HTML macro in Confluence OnDemand, or anywhere in OnDemand for that matter.

When you allow JavaScript, it opens up a bunch of security risks that we didn't want to take with OnDemand. So, we removed it and added it to the restricted functions list:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Restricted+Functions+in+Atlassian+OnDemand

Sorry for the bad news :( it's very likely to remain restricted.

-Simon

JohnB November 9, 2012

Bummer! Guess I'll just link out to an HTML page where we'll host the chart.

Thanks Simon!

SimonD January 13, 2014

Hi Simon,

How about allowing the HTML Macro but with scripting disabled for on demand? I would like to include a lot of swf with some custom parameters but the way it looks right now I will have to make (and maintain) a custom html for each individual include, which would result in alot of work.

Is there any other way how I could pass a parameter to an swf from within confluence? Thanks a lot in advance!

Sample code:

<embed src="some.swf?file=../somefile.xml&amp;mode=view&amp;width=600&amp;height=300" width="600x" height="300px">

Best,

//Simon

Tim
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2016

Simon: we've created a HTML macro for Cloud that could help embed SWF's with custom parameters. You can give it a try here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1215202. Hope it helps smile

0 votes
herbert serrano August 20, 2019

What about using Google Charts API and embedding it into the HTML macro, see: theessayservice.

0 votes
James Dellow July 14, 2014

You can now use Atlassian Connect to work around this security restriction in Confluence OnDemand. You can build private add-ons that create simple macros that allow you to insert custom HTML into a page.

Alexandre Tumlinson April 13, 2016

Would you expect it would be possible to use this to enable the bit of html insert necessary for Google Analytics? 

0 votes
Andres Rodriguez May 10, 2013

John, could you tell me how to include an IFRAME into a Confluence Page? Thanks.

0 votes
JohnB November 12, 2012

I ended up working around this issue using an iframe - I inserted the Google Charts JS into an HTML page and then just included that in the iframe.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events