Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence License + maintenance

hakimshukor July 11, 2020

Let's say, we buy Confluence Server in year 2020, but we didn't paid the maintenance for 2021 & 2022 ( Because they said, they provide one year maintenance)... when come to 2023, we realise that we need their support/ upgrade version... so, do we still need to pay 2021 & 2022 maintenance? or we just need to pay 2023 maintenance?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2020

Hi @hakimshukor ,

In your case you will just need to pay 2023 maintenance to be eligible to upgrade to a updated version and get official support.

I think there is a renewal discount and you will lose it in case you skip 2022, I'm not totally sure how this works but definitely something you should check too.

repi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2020

@hakimshukor @Italo Qualisoni [e-Core] 

I can not confirm that.
I once had a basic license with 10 users for private purposes.
However, since I was not able to use confluence privately for work, I shut it down and did not renew the license.
When I reactivated confluence after two years and wanted to buy a current license, I would have had to pay the past two years. (renew)
I then decided to buy a new one.

Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2020

You are right @repi ,  to renew the license will be charged with the period that the license was expired as well, in my previous comment I was mentioning to aquire a new license instead of renewal.

There is a great question with this  topic , sharing here because it can answer your question @hakimshukor 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Atlassian-Account-questions/Buying-new-license-is-cheaper-then-renewing-if-maintenance/qaq-p/134228

hakimshukor July 12, 2020

@Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]  @repi   ...

Server Confluence' license is one time payment as shown in figure.. Is that mean, we just need to pay one time for the whole life? 

1.PNG

Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2020

@hakimshukor ,

Yes, once you buy it the license will be yours forever.

Your application won't stop working by having an expired license, you basically won't have the  support and access to new releases (this means that you be uncovered for any new bug fix and security releases until you renew or have a new valid license)

I'll quote a comment from Jim Conaty (Atlassian Team member) that can also help you to understand this topic.

-- Answer from Jim Conaty (Atlassian Team member)

Hi Blazej,

Atlassian adopted a perpetual license model for our server products so when you purchase the license for a product it is yours forever. Renewing software maintenance is optional, but it does provide you continued access to our technical support team and new releases of the software that include product enhancements and new features. We do outline this in the Licensing & Pricing FAQ under the Software Maintenance section.

When customers renew software maintenance they are continuing to support the ongoing development of the product. If a license is renewed after the maintenance has expired, it provides access to those development efforts, which is why software maintenance is backdated to the last active software maintenance period. 

In the case when a server product has been out of software maintenance for more than 12 months, our customer advocate team will always suggest purchasing a new license as it includes 12 months of maintenance from the date the license is issued.

Like hakimshukor likes this
repi
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2020

@Italo Qualisoni [e-Core] 

Basically correct, but there is no support for the basic license anyway..

However, with what you get, you can already pay $ 10 + VAT annually.
I think it will be donated for social purposes.

Like hakimshukor likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events