Can I indent a bulleted list more than than the default starting indention?

Jim Heddles October 9, 2019

In Confluence 6 I could indent a list as much as I wanted before the start.  This no longer seems the case in version 7.  It seems to mandate that the list start to the far left, with an initial indent.

I use this a lot and am a bit frustrated.

Anybody else seeing this or have a workaround?

4 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

3 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2019

Hello Jim,

Thanks for testing this issue and bringing it to our attention. I’ve been able to recreate the issue with your provided examples and confirmed the issue is present. With this said, I’ve created a bug request to have this looked into. You may find the bug request at CONFSERVER-58987, we ask you to please vote and watch this request for future updates to its status.

Thanks again for reporting this removed functionality.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Jim Heddles October 14, 2019

Thanks for the reply.  It would be great to get this fixed.  It's something I use a lot and I've had to come up with a fairly awkward work around.

Like # people like this
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 27, 2020

Hello all!

Following up on this post. The bug, CONFSERVER-58987, has been marked as closed with a fix version of 7.7.2.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Like Thiago Pallaro likes this
Francisco De Zuviria September 17, 2020

Hi @Stephen Sifers , This Bug is affecting the Cloud version of Confluence (maybe a regression?) Can you please clone the fixed bug, but for Cloud? Thank you

Like # people like this
Gretchen Shelby-Dormer November 13, 2020

I'm also hitting a bullet list indentation limit. I guess I'll have to use a different product for my documentation.

Like Andrej Križan likes this
Jim Heddles November 13, 2020

It is annoying but expect they'll fix the cloud version as well.  I've created some work arounds with some custom macros I can share if you are interested.  We have a lot of content in Confluence so are committed to the platform and generally like it.  Everything will have their shortcomings. 

Jim Heddles November 13, 2020

Actually I see I already posted my macro below.  :)

Renato Luis October 21, 2021

In the cloud version just hit Tab at the beginning of the bullet to indent right (Shift+Tab to indent left).

Like Donovan Jones likes this
Clifton Foster November 17, 2021

@Renato Luis 

Hitting tab at the beginning of the bullet does nothing in my cloud version. Shift+Tab removes the bullet, but Tab will not intent it further than the default one or two character indent.

Like # people like this
0 votes
gvantsa davitaia March 24, 2020

Hello,

My question is a little bit different as I wonder how can I indent numbered list and use only numbers and not alphabet (ex: 1 - 1.2 - 1.2.1) 

Thank you in advance,

Gvantsa

Al Henneberger March 24, 2020

I use Section and Column macros for indenting (see my entry above).  While it is not WYSIWYG, and can be a pain to edit (especially when using multiple columns), but it does work.  I set the empty indent column to 15 to 20px per level of indent.  Use whatever looks good to you.

As for the numbering, well, that's a whole different kettle of fish.  There are paid add-ins.  One is Number Headings Pro, but it is for numbering headings not lists.  There is probably one for a word processor style control of numbered lists--but I could not find one.  You may have to either write one yourself or work with one of their partners.  Neither seem like a good solution for a feature that should be standard in an application such as this. 

If your administrator has enabled the HTML macro, you can use HTML to set the <ol> tag to the desired format.  For good reason, our administrator has disabled that macro.

Dressel Peter April 16, 2020

Same problem in version 7.2.2

Any plans from Atlassian to solve bug CONFSERVER-58987? Or is Atlassian only preferring new (also buggy?) features?

Like Rachel Wallace likes this
0 votes
Ian C_ February 12, 2020

In this post Payne suggested switching to Text mode & using multiple stars / hashtags to create indented bullet lists.

* Main level item #1
** Indented item #1
** Indented item #2
* Main level item #2
0 votes
Al Henneberger January 7, 2020

This post from earlier in 2019 asks basically the same question.  

What I came up with is wherever I want the indented bullets is to use a Section macro.  Then in the Section macro put a blank Column macro of the desired width.  I added one more Column macros of default width and added my bulletized list.

This would also work well to add a multiple column bullet list of however many columns you desire.

I started with a two column (wide narrow) default section then embedded the Section and Column macros.

Jim Heddles January 7, 2020

Al,

That is an interesting approach. Thanks for sharing it.  I'll give it a try. 

I created a user macro "Indent panel (variable)" that creates a panel indented with a parameter value and then put the bullet list in there.  There is a slight problem with the line spacing just after the macro but otherwise works well.  I also use it to indent tips and info boxes.  I'm big on using indention for reading clarity.   

## Macro title: Indent Panel
## Macro has a body: Y
##
## Developed by: Jim Heddles
## Date created: 30/May-2019
## Installed by: Jim Heddles

## @Param leftmargin:title=LeftMargin|type=string|desc=left margin|default=60
## @Param units:title=Units|type=string|desc=px or %|default=px

<style>
.notableborder table.confluenceTable, .notableborder table.confluenceTable td, .notableborder table.confluenceTable th {border: 0;}
</style>
<div class="notableborder">
<table style="margin-left: $paramleftmargin$paramunits;">
<tr><td>
$body
</td></tr></table></div>

I also have a macro "Hide Table Borders" and could use this with the first column containing a string of characters to achieve the indent and then color them white.

All a bit of a pain when it used to work just fine.

Katie Crick January 19, 2021

Thank you Jim!  I am trying to use this.

Do I need to put a value in somewhere?  It is not working for me.

Jim Heddles January 19, 2021

It should default to 60px, but you can adjust this with the "Edit" feature of all macros.

indent1.pngindent2.png

Don't forget to se choose "Rendered" in the macro definition.

indent3.png

Katie Crick January 19, 2021

Thank you!!  You are the best..  works like a charm. 

srenouWest March 29, 2021

Looks like section macro is not anymore in the product: https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/insert-the-section-macro/ and user macro cannot be defined in the cloud version, so not sure if there is a solution for that anymore?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events