What's the best way to structure "Header" pages in Confluence

Dave Menconi October 11, 2021

I like to have my confluence pages organized into "trees" with a header (or root, if you prefer) page that has an index to all the pages under it. These pages (in my system) don't have content; they are just an index.

Usually I just create a page, give it a title and add a page tree macro that's restricted to this page (@self).

This works but it's BORING!

How do you like to spiff this page so it pops a little better?

A few of my ideas are to

• Have some kind of colorful horizontal bar to give it a bit of color and make it clear that this is a header and not a leaf page.
  • Have a few sentences about what might be in this collection of pages.
  • Have some "Key Links" that are the most important, curated, subpages.

What ideas do you have to make header pages more interesting?

Or do you guys even USE header pages? (It's the obvious way to structure a wiki for me, but surely it's not the ONLY way to do it. )

By the way, not everything that works on server works the same way on Cloud but MOST things do so this could be cross platform.

2 comments

Patrick Haley October 11, 2021

Depends on the content of the child pages for. Most of the time I use a Page Tree to display the hierarchy of subpages. Lately, I've been using the Page Properties report to get even more info about the child pages. For example, I created a Service Catalogue and use the report to see a snapshot overview of each service in our portfolio. I also use Page Properties to organize meeting notes underneath. 

Like Dave Menconi likes this
Patrick Vanhoof
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2021

You can also use the Excerpt macro on the child pages. Macro's like e.g. Page tree allow you to also show the excerpts.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events