Is Confluence the right platform to build my app?

J.D. Montgomery February 28, 2018

I have been tasked with developing a way for our company to record and report on job specific weekly metrics for employees.  Leadership seems to think Confluence is the right place for this functionality.  My understanding of Confluence is that it provides a place for collaboration and sharing of living documents.  It does not seem realistic to store static pages containing employee performance metrics meant solely for the employee and management.  Once these metrics are captured, the page would not be changed.  As a matter of fact, if we could 'lock' it somehow, that would be ideal.  

Each manager should be able to report on the history of a single employee to see data trends as well as all employees to see departmental trends.  To me, this means I must find a way to form capture all input and store it in a cloud data store.  Another page would then pull the data from the store and present it in various ways.  Some of which I may have to pull from another Javascript library.

Am I thinking about this all wrong or is their merit to my concerns?  Is there an Atlassian-supported approach to these requirements?

* Please let me know if I can provide more to help understand my question.

1 comment

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2018

If you are wanting to store metric data for reporting on, honestly I think Jira would be a better platform to use. However, if you do want to do this in Confluence you should look into the Confiforms add-on. It allows you to create forms within Confluence to store structured data that can then be reported on. We use it and it is by far the most useful add-on we have purchased for Confluence.

J.D. Montgomery March 1, 2018

Thank you, Davin, for your comments!  Jira seemed a more appropriate choice to me as well.  I will be giving Confiforms a try since we only license Jira for our IT team.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events