Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACTION REQUIRED: how to move from Beta to the Free or Standard plans of Compass

Move from the Compass Beta plan to the Free or Standard plan

When Compass launched in General Availability (GA) in October 2023, we announced that all beta customers would continue to have access to their beta plan until March 31st, 2024. With this date approaching, all Compass beta customers can now move to the Free or Standard plan.

We've prepared detailed steps for you to complete the transition below. To skip to the Compass plans and next steps, scroll to "Choosing and managing your Compass plan." 

What happens if no plan or action is taken by March 31, 2024?

If you don't move to a Free or Standard Compass plan by March 31, 2024, your beta plan will automatically move to a 14-day free trial of the Compass Standard plan.

• If you would like to upgrade to a Standard plan during the 14-day free trial period, add a payment method and complete your billing profile to begin your Standard plan.

• If no payment method is added after the 14-day free trial and you have 3 or fewer full users, you will be moved to the Free plan

• If no payment method is added after the 14-day free trial and you have more than 3 full users, your Compass plan will be canceled. Your billing admin will be notified with steps to reactive plans or to reach out for help.

• If a payment method is already included, you will be billed after the end of the Standard trial.

Throughout this period, your admin will receive communication about the trial ending and payment information needed.

What are the Compass plans and pricing?

Compass is available in two plans - Free and Standard.

Free plan($0/user/month)

Standard plan($7/user/month)

Includes up to 3 full users and unlimited basic users

This plan is ideal for small teams or individuals who want to track all of their services and software health in a unified catalog. Includes:

• Catalog tracking with activity events and dependencies.

• Default scorecard to get started

• Basic data retention and Community support

Includes up to 35k full users and unlimited basic users.

This plan is ideal for every team looking to improve their developer experience and operation readiness. Includes everything in the Free plan, plus:

• Software templates

• Custom scorecards and metrics

• Individual Team Dashboards

• Customized apps and integrations

• Announcements

• Enhanced data retention and support

Regardless of your plan, the Compass software catalog is free for all users, and there’s one low price for every engineer as you scale. The free software catalog ensures every customer can connect their repositories, libraries, APIs, and more in one unified location to help improve how engineering teams collaborate. To learn more about the Compass plans, please watch this video

Before you begin choosing your Compass plan

• You need to be a site or organization administrator to perform most of the described actions. To learn more about Compass roles, please click here.

• You need to understand the difference between the basic and full user roles.

What’s the difference between basic users and full users?

The basic and full user roles in Compass determine which features are available to each role. Switching between user roles can be easily managed through the admin panel. It’s a flexible model that allows you to start small and roll out to other individuals as needed. For a detailed breakdown of the basic and full user feature access, click here or watch this video.

Basic User

Full User

Basic users in Compass are designed for product managers, data scientists, and support engineers who only need limited access to component data and activity. They have basic access to the catalog but don't have access to scorecards or health apps.

Full users in Compass have access to all features including scorecards, metrics, team dashboards, and UI extension points. We recommend full user licenses for any engineer who builds, ships or maintains code in production environments.

What’s the best Compass plan for me?

The best Compass plan for you is based on your organization and team’s needs.

We recommend full user licenses for any engineer who builds, ships or maintains code in production environments. We typically see developers, platform engineers, engineering managers, ITOps engineers, and support with full user access.

Provide a better developer experience to your engineering org with advanced catalog capabilities, activity tracking, DORA metrics, health scorecards, software templates, integrations, and more. To get more value for your whole engineering org, we recommend choosing the full user license for just $7 per user a month in your organization.

Everyone else in your organization can still access the free catalog via a basic user license to fuel collaboration and connect technology to your teams, work, and content. As part of the Atlassian Cloud Platform, every Jira Software user can view catalog data as a Basic User.

If you need more than 3 full user licenses, choose the Standard Plan. If you need 3 or fewer full user licenses, start with the Free plan.

Pricing example

In this video, you’ll see a pricing example for an organization with 10,000 full-time employees, including 4,000 engineers. Full user roles are recommended for all engineers and engineering leaders resulting in an annual investment of approximately $280k.

Engineers save time by finding information faster and staying in the flow state with less friction and overhead. If the entire organization is on Confluence and Jira, all 10,000 employees will benefit from the free catalog as well with Compass information integrated across Atlassian products.

Choosing and managing your Compass plan

• Only billing admins, organization admins, or site admins can change product plans. Your site admin can verify the number of billable (full) users and upgrade to the Compass Free or Standard plan.

• When you upgrade from a Free plan to a paid plan, make sure you add your payment details before your trial ends. If there's no payment on file, your subscription will be deactivated if you have more than three full users or reverted to the Free plan in case the full user count is three or fewer.

For all other information to manage subscriptions and billing for Atlassian cloud products, see Subscriptions and billing.

Option 1: In-product
Your admin can choose a Compass plan in-product following the instructions below:

1. On the upper right of the navigation bar, select ⚙️ > Billing

2. For Compass, select Manage > Change plan, and then choose the needed plan.

Option 2: Admin portal

Alternatively, your admin can go to admin.atlassian.com to select a Compass plan.

1. When you go to admin.atlassian.com, select your Compass beta site > Billing
2. For Compass, select Manage > Change Plan, and then choose the needed plan.

Manage your billing details

When you upgrade to a Standard plan, we start you on a 14-day free trial. However, entering your payment details before the trial ends is very important to continue using Compass without interruptions. If you wish to be on an annual subscription, please reach out to your enterprise advocate or contact us here.

What happens if no action is taken by March 31, 2024?

If you don't move to a Free or Standard Compass plan by March 31, 2024, your beta plan will automatically move to a 14-day free trial of the Compass Standard plan.

• If you would like to upgrade to a Standard plan during the 14-day free trial period, add a payment method and complete your billing profile to begin your Standard plan.

• If no payment method is added after the 14-day free trial and you have 3 or fewer full users, you will be moved to the Free plan

• If no payment method is added after the 14-day free trial and you have more than 3 full users, your Compass plan will be cancelled. Your billing admin will be notified with steps to reactive plans or to reach out for help.

17 comments

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2024

@Hester Loo we'd like to move to the free plan, but we have 5 org/site admins. Since none of their access to the product can be removed (not company policy; the user profile pages just will not let the toggle be turned off), what can we do?

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Justin Sharp March 7, 2024

We are in the same boat as Esther mentioned above, we have 6 org/site admins but we really only need up to 3 of us in Compass at the moment.

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2024

FYI, I posted the same question to the chatbot in Compass and got this reply. Haven't tried it yet, but it may be what you need.

If all 5 of your org/site admins need access to Compass, I'm afraid you would need to be on the standard plan. However, if some of those admins don't need product access, but want to stay org admins, you could follow these steps (you'll need org admin permission yourself to do this):

- go to admin.atlassian.com
- select the appropriate site
- click ... by Compass and select "manage users"
- click "groups" in the left sidebar and scroll down to "org admins" at the bottom
- click "show details." On this screen, you will see a list of all the org admins and, scrolling down, a list of the products that they have access to.
- under the column "product roles," unselect Compass
- this means that your org admins group no longer has automatic access to Compass.
- you can then add the org admins who do need access individually. Once you have 3 or fewer admins, you can follow these steps to downgrade your plan:

- on admin.atlassian.com with the site selected, click "billing" in the top nav menu.
- click "Manage" next to Compass, then click "Change plan" in the top right corner and select the free plan.

I know it's a little convoluted, and we're working on making it easier. For now, please let me know if this was helpful or if you have more questions.

Like # people like this
Brock Jolet March 18, 2024

I was having trouble reducing my user count from 4 to 3 because one of my users was a Trusted User and was automatically gaining a license that they did not need. After resolving that by switching them to an Admincongrats on the promotion, I guess 🙃I still cannot switch from Beta to Free because it's giving me an error with a very unhelpful toast notification.

Picture1.png

Like Nathalia R likes this
Nathalia R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2024

Hello @Brock Jolet 

We just created a new support ticket for you so we can have a closer look at what's happening on your site.

We'll be in contact shortly on POINTA-865 

Cheers,
Nathália | Jira Product Discovery Team

Like Brock Jolet likes this
Marina Oliveira March 26, 2024

I understand Compass catalogue is free for everybody within the org however I don't know how to configure it without adding product access to users. Apologies if that is documented... I did read them all but might have missed something. 

Currently, we are using an existing jira-users group to grant access to everybody, but that is giving full product license access. If I remove that group from the product access, people lose the access to the catalogue as well. 

How can I grant basic access to people? 

Like James Wilson likes this
Adam Campbell-Smith March 27, 2024

I am facing the same issue as @Marina Oliveira . We have switched to the Standard Plan but I can find no screen where I can control the roles of users (Basic / advanced) despite the documentation saying you can select it when adding users.

James Wilson March 28, 2024

Hello @Hester Loo I wondered if there is a ticket for the issue @Adam Campbell-Smith and @Marina Oliveira have raised? If not, could we get one created as we would like to start using compass in April.

Thank you

Hester Loo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2024

@James Wilson @Adam Campbell-Smith @Marina Oliveira 

Thank you for your patience! I've contacted my support team, and this article details how users are invited, managed, and given access to Compass. Can you please let me know if you're still running into issues? Thank you! 

Adam Campbell-Smith April 2, 2024

@Hester Loo I have been using that article to try and set up access but the details are very sketchy. It just says you can set up Basic access from admin.atlassian.com but no specific details on how to grant someone Basic over the Standard user. When I grant someone access from admin.atlassian.com all I get is a toggle on/off for Compass, at no point is there an access level selection, even when looking at the access requests and checking the box that says 'Configure access on the next screen'.

I have looked to create a separate Basic Users Group in admin.atlassian.com but I am not able to give that group a specific level of access on Compass.

Salvatore Di Franca
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 2, 2024

Hello @Hester Loo I have a free plan with 2 users.

What will happen at the end of 14-day free trial of the Compass Standard plan ?

I'll be billed ?

Regards

Hester Loo
Atlassian Team
April 2, 2024

@Salvatore Di Franca you have the option to not stay on the Standard trial plan! You can always go to admin.atlassian.com and choose the free plan if you don't want to stay on Standard. That way you won't be billed. 

You will only be billed if you have your billing details and if you remain on the Standard plan after the 14-day free trial. Please reach out if you have more questions. Thanks!

Hester Loo
Atlassian Team
April 2, 2024

Hi @Adam Campbell-Smith I'm sorry you're running into this issue!

I'm having an internal Atlassian contact look into your issue - I'll follow up with you shortly!

Taylor
Atlassian Team
April 2, 2024

Hi everyone, I should be able to help here.

First off, thank you for using Compass and helping us continue to evolve the product into what it is today. We will do our absolute to best to make sure you have a good experience transitioning away from the Beta plan and into a Free/Standard plan that best suites you. 

@Adam Campbell-Smith I think you are running into an issue with our 'new user management system' that is also rolling out at the moment. We will update the blog post to make this more clear, as it is not called out - my apologies!

So what is happening?

I have attached a screenshot for reference on what you should be seeing. If it has not rolled out to your org yet, I might suggest contacting Support who can take a look at feasibility of moving you over: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/.

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 6.39.05 PM.png

What can we do in the meantime?

1. Ideally, you are able to move to new admin experience within next 2 weeks and this is resolved.
  2. If not, you can reduce all user access to just the people you want to have "full access" which would also be $7/u/mo. If < 3 users this would be the free tier.
  3. If you would like to continue using Compass with many Full and Basic users, with the intention to pay for the Standard plan, we can look at possibly extending your trial of the Standard plan until we can resolve this for you. Just mention this issue in the support issue you raise or ping us directly in Intercom

My apologies for the confusion and extra work here on your end. We will do the best we can to resolve this swiftly! Let me know if I can help with anything else.

- Taylor Pechacek, Head of Product, Compass

Salvatore Di Franca
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 2, 2024

Hello @Hester Loo thanks for your answer.

So I was wondering..since this is my subscription:

compass.png

I wont be billed right ? Because I'm on free plan..

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards

Salvatore

Adam Campbell-Smith April 3, 2024

@Taylor Thanks for your response, this is exactly the situation we are facing. At least I am not going mad. I will speak to out Atlassian admins internally to work out if we would like to pursue the new Admin Experience or not.

Like # people like this
Taylor
Atlassian Team
April 3, 2024

@Salvatore Di Franca Looks like you are all set mate! Says you are on Free Plan. If you have any issues, just raise a support ticket https://support.atlassian.com/contact/ and they can investigate your site and help with resolving any issues.

Cheers!

Taylor Pechacek, Head of Product, Compass

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events