Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple contributors

Holly Milosevich May 2, 2023

Hi there! 

Curious - how does everyone handle issues with multiple contributors? We do try to structure our work so this doesn't happen, but sometimes work ends up requiring multiple people (not necessarily in a sequence in which it could just be reassigned), etc. We typically keep it assigned to the primary developer and anyone who worked on it creates notes, etc., and logs time in Tempo. How do other teams structure planning when multiple people will contribute to a story?

2 answers

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Pete Dunham May 2, 2023

Hi Holly,

I generally handle this with some coaching if I get requests to add new fields such as "Additional Owners" or requests for multiple assignees.

I generally kindly push back in discussion with stakeholders with some key points:

• this may indicate that the story/task is too large and could be broken down into more tasks/stories or sub-tasks -- each assigned to an accountable owner
    • This is probably very significant in terms of your notes, and time in Tempo -- each items to track against needs to be a new ticket

• Jira is built on single accountable owner. If there are multiple accountable owners for a single items this often breaks down into no one is accountable
    • This essentially breaks down into conversation of who is accountable and defeats the value that Jira can provide

In a couple of places I've added items "Peer Reviewer" or "To Stay Informed" as a general compromise.  But these additions haven't brought any great value for the complexity.

I am also interested in how other community members approach.

0 votes
John Riley
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 9, 2023

One group I work with doesn't use the OOB field and creates a filterable Multi-User field called "Owner(s)" with the Enhancer plugin.  They use it for pair-programming, pair-onboarding, mob programming, etc.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events