Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October ACE Recording: Why Atlassian Insight is Awesome!

Erica Larson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2020

If you haven't heard yet, Jira Service Desk is getting rebranded to Jira Service Management and it is getting some great upgrades!  Atlassian Insight is one those improvements and we were lucky to have @Thad West introduce us to this new Atlassian acquisition. 

Check out the recording here: 
https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/ZzbbQT5eLqu-wWYi7FKUXHVtJXkkJzNh6RC9t4pmne2fnFM2_p6eAPgUSaETH76-.jLHOT95Y9cnwsUF7

Meeting Details:

If you take a quick glance at Atlassian's newest product Insight you might think "ohh, asset management, I understand". That quick judgment is just as wrong as seeing Jira and thinking "ohh, a bug tracker, I understand!" You would be dead wrong on both fronts and truly missing the power behind these tools.

It's true that out of the box Insight provides software for asset and configuration management. And yes, It is built on the Jira platform and easily integrates with Jira Service Desk. But, the real power comes in when you realize how flexible Insight is and how it can be used to model anything, including assets, logical services, people, contracts...whatever!

The best way I can describe it is: Jira issues are the verbs and Insight objects are the nouns. When you think of it this way the question becomes: How do you want to model the work you do (verbs - Jira) against the things that are impacted by your work (nouns - Insight)?

In this talk, we will walk through:

* Insight for tracking assets

* All of the other great use cases for Insight, with examples

* Reporting and querying on Insight objects

1 comment

Comment

Viktor Cardfelt December 2, 2020

I agree, insight is amazing and the backbone of our Jira installation. We use it to track all kind of different assets, from as you say contracts, installed base, but also engineering teams, products, solutions, delivery projects etc. 

It's great that Insight is now an Atlassian product, if this means that it will get an even closer integration. I.e. more apps to support insight fields, mobile support etc. 

What worries me is that Insight is to be bundled with "Jira service Management" and a partner close to Mindville mentioned fast during our conversation that Insight custom fields would only be available for JSM projects (not sure if he said too much, or didn't know what he said).

I.e. Insight's amazing flexibility would then be reduced and become a "JSM" focused product. 

The following questions have been sent Mindville via their old "Service desk portal" that has now been closed for new tickets. However, I have yet to receive a response. 

Once Insight is bundled with Jira service management for data center:

• Will non "Agent" users have full access to insight as today?
  • Will insight custom fields continue to work with software/core projects?

We choose jira for it's flexibility and affordability some years ago, but are faced with higher prices and less flexibility. 

Viktor Cardfelt January 13, 2021

Great news!

Atlassian have now confirmed that Insight will continue to work for all applications on the same server as the "Service management". 

Just wanted to let anyone reading my comment know the latest status. More info can be found here, https://www.atlassian.com/migration/faqs#general. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events