Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trigger Custom Pipeline using API

Sidney Chen May 22, 2019

Hi All,

I'm trying to trigger a custom pipeline for a particular branch using the following API call below:

curl -X POST -is -u <user>:<password> \

-H 'Content-Type: application/json' \

https://api.bitbucket.org/2.0/repositories/<account>/<repo>/pipelines/ \

-d ' { "target": { "ref_type": "branch", "type": "pipeline_ref_target", "ref_name": "<branch_name>" } }'

My yaml file has two paths, one is custom and the other is branch name based. The branch name based path works without issue however I'm unable to trigger the custom pipeline path without having to go the UI and doing it manually there ( I have a few repos so I don't want to constantly go back to the UI through each repo to trigger the custom path, rather script it up in a loop to fire them all off)

It ends up giving this response after posting

"Bad request", "detail": "bitbucket-pipelines.yml not found."

If I check the branch <branch_name> for that repo I can see that the bitbucket-pipelines.yml file is definitely there. Am I missing something obvious here? It makes me think the API is hitting some other branch where the file does not exist, but all branches in that repo has a bitbucket-pipelines.yml file.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Raul Gomis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2019

Hey @Sidney Chen ,

How exactly are you triggering the custom pipeline? I'd suggest that you try this example, adding the selector field to specify the custom pipeline you want to run:

curl -X POST -is -u username:password \
  -H 'Content-Type: application/json' \
 https://api.bitbucket.org/2.0/repositories/{workspace}/{repo_slug}/pipelines/ \
 -d '
  {
    "target": {
      "type": "pipeline_ref_target",
      "ref_type": "branch",
      "ref_name": "master",
      "selector": {
        "type": "custom",
        "pattern": "my-custom-pipeline-name"
      }
    }
  }'

More details and examples in here: https://developer.atlassian.com/bitbucket/api/2/reference/resource/repositories/%7Bworkspace%7D/%7Brepo_slug%7D/pipelines/

Sidney Chen May 23, 2019

Perfect! just what I was looking for @Raul Gomis . I kept having to trigger it from the UI since I didn't realise thats how the selector field worked.

Thanks!

Ranopriyo Neogy July 12, 2021

@Raul Gomis  - Is there a way I can pass multiple values in pattern, or what is the correct way to achieve below use-case. 

"pattern": "my-custom-pipeline-name"

I have a use case to execute all custom steps in the below YAML file one after the other from custom bitbucket pipeline API ? 

pipelines:

custom:

create-aws-account:

- variables:

- name: account_id # single string (required)

- step: *tfapply

set-sso-permissions:

- variables:

- name: aws_account_id # single string (required)

- name: aws_region # us-east-1 or ca-central-1

- step: *aws_sso_access

run-cloudhealth-pipeline:

- variables:

- name: aws_account_name

- name: aws_account_id

- step: *cloudhealth_pipeline

run-tekton-pipeline:

- variables:

- name: account_id # single string (required)

- name: app_id # single string (optional)

- step: *tekton_pipeline
Raul Gomis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2021

@Ranopriyo Neogy You can trigger two separate requests. I would recommend to use the following trigger-pipeline pipe to simplify the process and make it more user friendly with no code required. There is a good example in this Community post: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-Pipelines-questions/I-m-using-atlassian-trigger-pipeline-can-I-request-WAIT-but-not/qaq-p/1633748.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events