Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hiding/obfuscating variables in manual bitbucket pipeline run

ryanbannon August 2, 2019

Hello,

Variables were recently allowed to be set in manual pipeline runs.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/variables-in-pipelines-794502608.html#Variablesinpipelines-customvars

The article says that secure variables manually set in the pipeline will not be hidden. Is there an initiative to allow the hiding of variables in manually run pipelines?

Tx,

Ryan

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2019

Hi @ryanbannon

As you already know this is not an available feature. The only option I see for you regarding credentials is temporarily updating them in the Bitbucket Repository configuration >> Repository variables before running the manual build.

I've opened an improvement request for this in order to track interest in this feature:

Please let me know If I can still be of any help on this topic.

Deleted user July 20, 2021

Where is this?  We have run into this issue and makes us question the viability of Atlassian Bitbucket as a robust CI/CD tool as it is exposing secure credentials for our production environments.  Please advise on masking input variables over top the repository variables.  Manually change the repo variables for builds is not a good solution. 

I also don't see the verbiage stating manually set variables in the pipeline will not be masked.   In fact the docs states:  "Pipelines masks all occurrences of a secure variable's value in your log files, regardless of how that output was generated."

and

"If you have secure variable value set to a common word, that word will be replaced with the variable name anywhere it appears in the log file."

Like Gavin Chin likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events