Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to get an email alert when a user reaches a total number of logged hours?

stuart lenox
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 12, 2024

In a project a dev has x amount of hours they are allowed to work, so lets say 400hrs. I would like an alert that when the dev reaches 320hrs an email is sent to my email telling me the hours reached.

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2024

Hi @stuart lenox -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Short answer: One may write a rule to do this going forward, but not looking at prior time tracking.  If this type of reporting is needed frequently, consider using a marketplace app for time tracking reporting.

More information...

The built-in reporting for time tracking will not help with what you ask, as it does not include information about the specific users who logged time.

To find work logs for a range of time, the specific Jira issue keys must be known to call the REST API functions.  JQL can find those issue keys for a user, but a rule cannot iterate over the issues to sum up the time across the logs (due to parallel processing of branches).

A workaround would be to add an entity property to users for the total time logged during your timeframe, and increment / decrement that whenever work was logged using one automation rule.  Then a second, scheduled trigger rule could run to check for exceeding the threshold value of 400h.

That workaround is a bit complicated and brittle, and so using a marketplace app which can specifically report time tracking may help more.

Kind regards,
Bill

stuart lenox
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 12, 2024

Appreciate the reply. 

Thanks for taking the time for such a response. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events