How to filter in custom field "Issue key" from other symbols that are not Issues

Семён Жарычев May 5, 2022

Hello!

I have custom field for linking issues. I made automation rule that proof tat this field is not empty and link issue with pointed in custom field.

But sometames users fill uncorrect this field and automation rule stopped and showing error. How can I filter uncorrect "issue key" to make rule work smooth?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2022

You would need to find or write a listener that can check what people put in the field and correct or clear it.

However, why?  Why are you doing this with a custom field?  Why can't you simply ask your people to use issue links?  They won't let people enter invalid issues and have a search function to help them find the right one, and have a better view when the issues are viewed/

Семён Жарычев May 5, 2022

Thanks for advise, but this is not the answer for question

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2022

The first paragraph is.

The second paragraph is a better answer though - is there a reason you don't want to use the issue link field for what it is for?

Семён Жарычев May 6, 2022

Yes, the first paragraph is, but this is design of solution. And there is no answer, can I or cant't use Jira automation servises or may be JQL request and operators to realize that solution

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2022

Your "design" is a bad one, I'd suggest fixing that instead of botching something with code.

Automation can't help you with this, you'll need to write code that can validate the field and either tell the user they've entered junk, or take a guess at what should be entered.  

If you used issue links as intended, you wouldn't have this problem - it's got a search, it validates automatically, and won't go wrong if an issue is moved

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events