Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use automation to sum up the values of a custom field from the issues in a JQL query?

Megan June 24, 2022

Hi, 

I would like to automatically sum up the value of our "Story Points" field over a list of Jira issues for a variety of use cases (one being to see how many story points we complete per sprint per customer). I know I can set up filters to view the individual issues along with their associated Story Points values, but I would like to avoid human error in totaling them up.

Does anyone know if would be possible to achieve this with an automation rule? So far I have started a rule with a manual trigger, a "Create variable" action for a new {{totalStoryPoints}} variable, and a Lookup Issues JQL query that will find the issues in question based off of the trigger issue, but I'm having trouble envisioning how to connect the components. Ideally this rule would iterate over the issues in the lookup query and increment totalStoryPoints by the value in the "Story Points" field for each issue, then send me an email with the final totalStoryPoints value.

Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 1.56.55 PM.png

Thanks for any pointers!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Megan June 24, 2022

Right after posting this I found a workaround for quickly summing up a value  in https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/How-do-i-get-Total-SUM-of-custom-field-after-adding-JQL/qaq-p/1935278

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events