Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning Value to 'Parent' When Creating A Task By Automation

Shrinidhi Selvakumar July 1, 2022

Hello,

When creating a Task using Jira automation, is it possible to set the trigger event (in this case a Story) as the Parent of the newly created Task?

BR

Shrinidhi

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2022

Hi @Shrinidhi Selvakumar -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

If I understand your question correctly, the answer is: yes, it is possible to set a parent's field when a child issue is created.  Please try using a Branch to the Parent in order to access its fields.

Kind regards,
Bill

Shrinidhi Selvakumar July 3, 2022

Can you please share me the steps..

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2022

Writing automation rules is a lot about experimentation and learning (e.g. reading documentation and reading posts), and I respectfully suggestion trying both.  To help you get started, here are some draft steps I suggested earlier:

• trigger: issue created
  • action: re-fetch (This helps prevent timing errors after the issue created trigger)
  • condition: issue type is Task
  • branch: to the parent
    • action: edit the issue, copy data as needed from the Trigger Issue

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events