Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to prevent closing an issue if all linked "is blocked by" issues are not closed

Mohsin Khan June 17, 2022

I have a main user story linked to few tasks by 'is blocked by' condition. My requirement is that I do not want to allow users to close the main story until all 'is blocked by' issues are not closed. I know there is a ticket JRASERVER-43369 that is raised but not in release till now. Is there any way this can be achieved by using JIRA automation?

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2022

Hi @Mohsin Khan ,

First are you on Server or Cloud? You show a Server open suggestion so maybe server? In any event you will need an addon to accomplish this. While something like Scriptrunner would allow preventing a transition Automation for Jira (built into cloud), works after the fact. So with Automation you could reopen an issue if the linked blocking issues are not closed. Unsure if that method would work for you.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2022

Automation is for making changes to issues, it's not for validating transitions.

You'll need to find or write a condition or validator to do this.  Have a look in the marketplace for things that provide conditions and validators.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events