Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adjusting issue links during/after migration

bschmi November 10, 2020

In my environment we have two Jira Server instances (2x Jira version 8.5).

Instance A should be left untouched for the moment.

Instance B will "lift and shift" to the cloud.

At the moment Instance A and B are heavily using Issue links (just normal application links to the second instance).

My question: how will Instance A know that all application links that currently point to the on-prem  Instance B will have to point to the cloud?
As only Instance B will be migrated I have no clue how to "notify" Instance A.
Adjusting 23697 manually is not an option - I guess?!

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Birgit

1 answer

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Ramona Scripcaru
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 17, 2020

Hey @bschmi !

To ensure I got the full scenario for your use case, have you already decided on the migration method, process to be more precise, that you'll be using for this lift&shift instance B migration?

I was checking the Jira Site import documentation, If there are links that need to be mapped in cloud section and this might also help:

At this step, you may see a list of URLs for Atlassian server sites. To make sure links point to the new Jira Cloud site instead of the old server site after you migrate:

1. Select the URL of the Jira server instance you're importing to cloud from the list.
  2. Then click Run import to continue with your migration.

In both methods, Jira Site import & Jira Migration Assistant, as a first step, post instance B migration to the cloud, you will need to set up a new Application link between instance A, and the instance B newly in the cloud, that will be similar to the current app links you have set up, and you can guide after the steps mentioned in this article.

Once that is done, the apps will know how to communicate one with the other.

The second step post-migration will be to review the links that are still pointing to the old instance and correct them, and for that our support team can help and run a query on the cloud database to confirm all the links that are still pointing to the old instance, and if/how these can be fixed, for the majority of links, until a permanent fix is implemented (we are working on a tool for this), the team can help and run a database update to update old URL with new URL when by replacing the site name the link will be fixed.

As these are reciprocal, once the links are updated in Jira instance B, these should be updated also in Jira instance A.

I would highly recommend you to perform a test migration and reach out to us by raising a case from https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/ > select Migration support from the second drop-down and our team will review your exact use case for links post-migration and ensure you got all the details and the impact during the test.

Best!

Ramona

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events