Experiences with the migration to the cloud

Brian Trepto August 2, 2021

Hey!

Since some time has passed and now surely a few have migrated to the cloud, I would like to know if there were any problems or difficulties after the migration.

6 comments

Comment

Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2021

Hi @Brian Trepto 

It would be incredible a FAQ's of the inconveniences that have been repeated in the migrations and their possible solutions

Cheers

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2021

Yes sort of a “Pitfalls to be wary of”.

Like Pallavi Swamy likes this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2021

@Brian Trepto 

If you do the migration correctly then there are not really any problems after the migration.  I would say that the biggest difficulty is the different subtleties between server / DC and cloud.  Some users are thrown off by this and get frustrated or complain.  As you prepare to migrate just do not forget to prepare your users for the differences that they will experience.  I believe that this is the biggest issue that most face if they follow standard migration best practices.  

Like # people like this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2021

Nice question! I would like to hear opinions about the post-migration period!

Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2021

Nice Question !! I would like to hear opinions about after Migration. What are the challenges and how to fixed them?

Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
September 29, 2021

CCMA is a gift from the gods. There is just so much to consider.

head spinning.jpg

But I have really appreciated the tools that Atlassian provide and the information from the Community.

Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
September 30, 2021

Has anyone had issues with attachments not being migrated, but no errors being flagged?

Dwight Holman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2022

We are currently in migration testing (Server to Cloud) so I cannot really answer your question about the experience from the other side. But I thought I'd add some observations.

Pre-migration Checks

The recommended health checks and clean-up on your instance are technical (e.g. running SQL queries). If you're not confident doing that you might need to consider finding a migration partner.

The last time I checked Atlassian's documentation the PRE-migration checklist has 18 steps:

https://support.atlassian.com/migration/docs/jira-pre-migration-checklist/

Have a read before you get started.

Why don't Atlassian automate more of this for you?

Migration effort depends...

If you run a vanilla Jira server with few apps and not much customization, the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant (JCMA) could make the process relatively easy.

This was not true for us. We have a good number of 3rd party apps - some support migration, and some do not. We can work-around some of these so the impact should be minimal.

We found that our workflows include validation that cannot be migrated by JCMA. We're still working to clean-up workflows so they will migrate. , with a number of support requests to Atlassian and App developers.

If you do not require ongoing security fixes, AND you don't want to purchase more Atlassian products I would not recommend migrating to Cloud. The migration effort so far would easily amount to a few years worth of server admin/maintenance.

After Migration Cloud Experience

As noted above we're still testing. But I know that some aspects of our Server Instance cannot be replicated in Cloud. At present my main concerns are:

1. Performance: despite Atlassian's efforts to date, Cloud is still more sluggish than our Jira Server.
  2. App Support: don't assume your apps are supported in Cloud - use the JCMA to check.
  3. UI/UX changes: the product works differently and your users will need to change the way they work. Likely to be ongoing pain points.
  4. Unknown & Unforeseen: We have found features broken in Jira Cloud. True of Server too, but at least we know these.
  5. Complexity: The complexity of our migration plan (so far) suggests that we will miss some details, and our users will need more support than normal afterwards.

As a side-note the cost of apps on Cloud is substantially higher than on Server at our user tier. You should check pricing for your apps, and factor that into your budget.

Like Jimmy Van likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events