Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access Trello, Bitbucket, or OpsGenie to include in Atlassian Access

Sue Wilson February 24, 2023

I reached out to Atlassian Support last week and followed up this week, but have not heard any response and our '30-day trial' is quickly moving by while we are stuck at this point...

Users, no longer with the company, tried free versions of Bitbucket, OpsGenie, and Trello within our organization BUT not through IT processes.

In the meantime, Atlassian was set up via IT controls including Jira Software, Confluence, and Jira Service Management.  These were set up under our Organization and are controlled by IT & JIRA Admin.  NOTE:  We use Cloud for all.

When installing Access, we verified our domain & claimed our users.  Users who were previously added to Bitbucket, OpsGenie, and Trello are now included in our managed users.

The problem is we have no Admin access to these products to a) remove users, b) cancel/remove the original product access (under previous install), or c) move them under the organization to be part of the IT and Access control.

Of the 3, only Trello (free) is actively used by a small handful of users who do not want to give it up.  I cannot manage any of these accounts and there are some users who have access to other products, so we cannot simply de-activate them in Access.  The others still need customer access for portal requests, so de-activating single users won't work.

Has anyone seen this problem before or know of a solution so we can work through this stop gap and move on?!

Any/all insights or assistance would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Sue

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bert Dombrecht
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2023

Hi Sue,

I don't think I understand your problem so - setting expectations - this is not a solution, but a description of our setup. I feel we are in a similar situation but it is not percieved as a problem.

Users with an Atlassian account based on their company email are managed users in our case as well. SSO authentication policy is enabled. As a team in our company we only manage a Jira and Confluence cloud site (+ an on-permise Bitbucket and Bamboo site).

However, a number of our users also use Trello with the same user account, or are set up with access to other Jira or Confluence sites outside of our organization (supplier-managed sites for example).

Our area of governance is only our company site product access (Jira / Confluence cloud) and the management of company-managed accounts in terms of security, email address and display name.

Our users are free to use their (company managed) Atlassian account to access other Atlassian cloud products. However, if we notice a managed user has started another Confluence or Jira site (we get a notification of that: product created outside <domain>), we contact them and onboard them in our company site.

Kind regards,
Bert.

Sue Wilson February 24, 2023

@Bert Dombrecht , thank you so much for these details.  Yes, we do appear to be in similar situations. 

Managements request was to gain access to these outlying products to remove all users and 'remove all access' if possible, since they were not in use.  With further research, we found the users in Trello do still use it but are using the free version.  So, then management wanted to understand why we are being charged for them to be within our domain and use a product outside of our control simply because they have product access to a free app, which is now triggering them to be billable in Access.

Is there any way, without deactivating these Trello users, to NOT be billed for them through Access or is that 'just the way it is'?

Like João Vitor Maia Sousa likes this
James Yoon February 27, 2023

Hello Sue,

My organization also runs in to the same issue.  We also only have Jira and Confluence as paid products but some users sign up for other free Atlassian product plans such as Trello.

As part of our offboarding process, we remove the products which we can manage.  In our case, Jira and Confluence licenses. 

However, we also noticed that there were some users (using our claimed domains) being billed as part of the Atlassian Access product because they had products which weren't part of our org.

Since we don't have access to those free plans we just deactivate them from the Atlassian Access, we just deactivate those users.

It's not the way I would prefer to do things but don't see any other alternative.

Thanks,
James

Like Sue Wilson likes this
Sue Wilson February 28, 2023

Hi @James Yoon ,  Thank you for sharing your issue and how you resolve it! 

For offboarding, the deactivation works just fine for us, as well.  Where we struggle is to understand why we are being billed via Access for Trello only users, for example.  

We cannot deactivate these Trello only users because they do need site access to engage with our portals, but need no other product access, which would normally put them in the non-billable category.  Without asking these specific users to cancel their Trello accounts or, at minimum, change their email to a non-domain address, it looks like we will need to consume the cost of these users despite their otherwise non-billable status.

If all Atlassian products cannot be controlled by admin under our domain, we should not be penalized by paying for users who signed up for free products using their work email address outside of our control.

James Yoon February 28, 2023

Hello Sue,

My understanding is that you have to look at Access as one of Atlassian's paid products just like Jira, Confluence, etc.

The reason why you are being charged an Access license is because the user signed up using your org's email domain which I presume you have claimed for more controls and likely for SSO.  Since this user is logging in to Trello using SSO, you are being charged for that license.

Long story short, it sounds like you have 3 Atlassian products; Jira, Confluence, and Access.  If this user has signed up for a free Trello account using your org's email; you are not paying for their Trello license but you are paying for their Access license.

Hopefully this clears up the whole billable status in regards to the Access product.

Kind regards,
James

Like # people like this

Hi James,

You explained our situation exactly.  Access picked them up when we claimed users because they signed up for Trello using their company emails.  

Yes, I do understand we are paying for an Access license for them, not for the Trello license. I was more so trying to understand the why are we paying for Access for them when Trello is free.

It does clear it up, I just have to explain to the managers so they understand the billing changes, as well.

Thanks so much for your patience and detailed explanations.  They've really help me wrap my head around the billing aspects of Access.  

James Yoon February 28, 2023

Hello Sue,

It took me a while to wrap my head around this as well so I'm just happy to have shared my experience so you don't have to bang your head against the wall.

Kind regards,
James

Like Sue Wilson likes this

That's what I love about this Community!  Just when I'm about to panic, I log my questions, and save myself a lot of headaches and holes in the drywall!  ;-)  Thanks again!  Have a great day!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events