Pul Description data without json formatting that uses rich text

Colton_Kosicek April 17, 2024

Hey everyone 

I'm struggling to do simplex extracts on the jira description field consistently when my teams use any rich text information.

I found the basic help page for json extract on the description field but this immediately breaks when someone uses bolded letters as JSON splits on every rich text edit.

Hoping I can display full description regardless of text style and complete a character count. Looking for potentially poorly written epics, features, and user stories.

1 answer

0 votes
Skyler Ataide
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 19, 2024

Hey @Colton_Kosicek

It sounds like you have already referenced our knowledge base article, Extract values from a JSON string. Would it be possible for you to raise a ticket with our support team, and share the rich text JSON that you are looking to extract from one of your Jira issue descriptions. 

Skyler Ataide
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 24, 2024

Hi again @Colton_Kosicek

Are you able to try the following SQL mode query to see if this helps to remove any rich text formatting and only extract the text elements from your issue description field: 

SELECT 
issue.issue_key,
issue.description,
description:['content'][*]['content'][*]['text'] as description_text,
concat_ws(' ',flatten(array_except(from_json(description:['content'][*]['content'][*]['text'], 'array<array<string>>'), array(null))))as true_description
FROM `jira_issue` AS issue
ORDER BY `Issue`.`issue_id` ASC
LIMIT 10;

Let me know if the above SQL query helps, or if you are still otherwise experiencing trouble extracting the text from your description field! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events