Start reporting with your Atlassian groups and teams data

Hello, community! đź‘‹

By popular demand, we're releasing two new data points to the Atlassian Data Lake: groups and teams.

Group data is stored in the new Group table, which holds the mappings between group IDs and group names.

Team data is stored in two new tables: Team and Team member. The “Team” table holds the mapping between team IDs and team names, and the “Team member” table contains information about which users are part of each team. Note that one Atlassian account could be part of multiple teams.

All the new tables are under the “Organization data” category in the schema browser.

Read more about the new tables and columns.

image-20240304-235043.png

🎥Check out our video example

I recorded a quick video with a couple of examples that show how to create charts using the new tables. The first example shows how to see the number of Jira Software issues each team is working on. The second example shows how to list the Confluence pages that a given group has permission to and what their permission levels are.

Examples of how to join this data with your product data

Group data and Confluence data

You can join your group data and Confluence data to answer questions about page restrictions for a particular group. To do this, you’ll need to join the Group ID column from the “Group” table with the Authorized team column from the “Page restriction” table.

For example, you could create a query to see how many pages are restricted to each group by adding the following columns:

• Name from the “Group” table

• Page ID from the “Page restriction” table

image-20240304-230751.png

Teams data and Jira data

You can join your team data and your Jira data to get information about teams and their associated Jira issues.

To make it easier to find how many issues are associated with a particular team, we’re actively working to add a new “Team ID” column to the “Issue” table. Stay tuned for this release in the coming months.

In the meantime, you can get this information by joining with the Account ID column in the “Team member” table.

If there are multiple foreign keys in a table that can be joined with the “Account ID” column, make sure you change the query’s join path to use the correct foreign key. For example, if you wanted to know how many issues are assigned to each member of a particular team, you’d need to join the Account ID column with the Assignee account ID column in the “Issue” table under “Jira family of products”.

As mentioned earlier, one account ID can be part of multiple teams, so you may want to filter for a specific team as well.

image-20240305-004004.png

How to get the new tables

For new Data Lake connections, these new tables will automatically be available.

For existing Data Lake connections, an organization admin needs to edit the connections. They can edit the connection and save it without making any changes. More about editing Data Lake connections.

Comment below or contact support if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

13 comments

Paul Stahlke March 12, 2024

Hi, thanks for adding this data! I've added the new tables to our data lake, but when I go to the Teams table in the schema browser, it's empty. I thought it might take awhile to sync, but after a day, it's still empty. Any ideas?

Like • Jack Ukleja likes this
Tina Ling
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 12, 2024

Hi @Paul Stahlke , the teams data comes from Atlas product.  If you have Atlas on your cloud instance and had created teams, then the data should show up. Please contact support here if the issue continues. 

Paul Stahlke March 12, 2024

We don't have Atlas, but we have the Teams menu and hundreds of teams in Jira and Confluence. Will there be support for these Teams?

Tina Ling
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 12, 2024

Hi @Paul Stahlke ,  all teams created using the Teams manu is supported in this Teams data, including from Confluence or Jira.  If you still do not see them, please do contact support. 

Like • Paul Stahlke likes this
Fabio Saltos
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 18, 2024

Hi - thank you for adding the new tables! I am trying to tie Stories to the assigned team (found in the JIRA details page on the issue record). However, when I query Issue Name and Team Name I get results that don't match the record in JIRA. I am thinking its taking the first team result found; however, we have many individuals working on multiple teams. I hope this makes sense. I can also send screenshots to an email to demonstrate what I am seeing. Thanks in advance!

Tina Ling
Atlassian Team
March 18, 2024

Hi @Fabio Saltos , please do contact support for your question. Please do not send your screenshots here.  To show team name, account to team_name is a one-to-many relationship. Without filtering, it not only pick up the first team_name, instead it will pick up all the team_names a team_member belongs to.  So you want to filter a specific team. 

Like • Fabio Saltos likes this
CESAR DALDOSSO March 20, 2024

Are we having issues with this  ? Today I spent the whole day trying to fix the connection between a control dropbox with Team Names and a Pie Chart. It does not allows me using more than one team (when I use two it does not increase the results), even using multiple controls and filter "Is one of" 

Jack Ukleja March 21, 2024

We also have no data in the Teams table

Tina Ling
Atlassian Team
March 21, 2024

Hi @Cesar Daldosso ,  please do contact support for the control dropbox and pie chart issue. 

Tina Ling
Atlassian Team
March 21, 2024

Hi @Jack Ukleja , thank you for letting us know the issue.  We are actively investigating. Please check your data in the coming a few days again.  If it still not showing up, please contact support. 

Tina Ling
Atlassian Team
March 22, 2024

Hi @Jack Ukleja , you should see data in your Teams table now.  

John Schram April 9, 2024

I'm wondering when the Jira Issue's Team field will become available. For our organisation it's the canonical indicator of which team is actioning a jira issue and is critical to sprint board filtering in shared projects. Until it's available we functionally can't overcome the ambiguity of linking on a user account.

Like • Fabio Saltos likes this
Tracy Chow
Atlassian Team
April 9, 2024

Hi @John Schram, adding the Team field data to the Jira Issue table is in the works. 

You can follow this ticket to get progress updates: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ANALYTICS-205  

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events