A sneak peek at Atlas custom fields

Community review - assets.png

Hello 👋

I’m Niraj and I’m a designer on Atlas. My team and I have been exploring ways to make customization a core part of Atlas and I’m excited to share a sneak peek at our new custom fields feature that’s coming soon.

A few months ago we requested feedback on additional fields you would like to see on Atlas projects and goals. We received over 200 responses; your answers and feedback gave us a really good understanding of the different kinds of information that would be useful to you in Atlas. A massive thank you to every one of you :loveit: .

We’ve taken your feedback and are currently working on enabling customization through additional fields for projects and goals. I’d like to share a demo of how custom fields work. I’ll walk you through the experience and get some early thoughts on it.

A few notes about custom fields

1. Field types: You can choose from 4 types of custom fields:

• Freeform text

• Freeform number

• Select (with the ability for users to select multiple options)

• User (with the ability for users to select multiple users)

1. Pricing: Custom fields will be available on standard and premium plans, and you will be able to create up to 10 fields.

We’d love your feedback!

What’s working well? What’s missing? What would you like to see next (no promises :slight_smile: )? Please let us know in the comments.

We’re also looking for users to participate in usability testing for custom fields; if you’d like to give feedback and help shape the future of custom fields in Atlas, please let us know.

Finally, this is just the start of our custom fields work! We are exploring ways to let you customize columns in directories to let you see what matters most, show when project/goal fields change in updates, and more.

Please note that this is a work in progress and things are subject to change.

Watch the video: https://www.loom.com/share/400a12eb138e4483adf0ce52a148e3fb

13 comments

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2023

That's great news @Niraj Patil , it seems that my feature requests submitted in December '22are finally being acknowledged. Please do sign me up for the EAP.

I submitted these feature requests:

• WF-1769: Sort sub-goals by status or due date
  • WF-1787: Custom avatars/icons for projects
  • WF-1788: Delete a project (instead of archive)
  • WF-1789: Custom fields!
Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2023

I'd love to test this out. I'd also love a custom date field since we'd like to easily/quickly/visually compare our original target date with what it's currently set at. 

Like # people like this
Ákos Botos August 7, 2023

Hi,

This is a step forward. Let me ask a few questions:

1. Can be the same Atlas custom field used both at Projects and Goals?
  2. Is it planned to be able to use existing Jira custom fields (at least the same types)? Advanced roadmaps has a way to add Custom fields e.g.
Like Niraj Patil likes this
Niraj Patil
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2023

Hi, @Ákos Botos

1. Yes you can create a custom field and assign it to both Projects and Goals

2. You cannot use or share Jira custom fields in Atlas; they are unique to Jira. And likewise in Atlas, custom fields created in Atlas are unique to Atlas. 

Niraj Patil
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2023

Thanks for the great words and interest, @Ákos Botos @Amanda Barber @Dave Mathijs !

I'd love to conduct some usability testing with you have time this week or next, and would also love to get additional thoughts on how we're building custom fields. Please book some time on my calendar: https://calendly.com/nirajpatil/custom-fields-with-niraj

Thank you, again!

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2023

Thanks, @Niraj Patil - unfortunately, our time zones won't sync up. Hopefully Dave and Akos can meet with you!

Stefanie Lang August 27, 2023

@Niraj Patil - Steff here, if there is a chance to be an early tester of this please sign me up. We would love to add our Executive Sponsors to projects and also use something like project cycle phase.

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 27, 2023

@Niraj Patil Unfortunately, those calendly time slots are not possible for me, they are between 3AM and 6AM my local time.

David
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2023

A couple of points of feedback.

1. Date fields are extremely important to have for us. Long running projects have phases/milestones so just having a start and target date is not enough. I'm surprised date is not a custom field type option.
  2. Do the custom fields only show as columns if you filter on them? That is very restrictive. Our team needs to see these fields typically in all cases, not just when we filter. This will require us to create essentially blank filters that don't actually filter the results, but would be the only way to see these fields as columns.
Like mmarkham likes this
Greg Einfrank September 29, 2023

This looks great @Niraj Patil ! Do you have an ETA for when this will be shipped? Thanks

Sheila Gibbs November 21, 2023

Looking forward to using this feature for auditing purposes.  Thx.

Nancy Smith
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 17, 2024

Excited to share a sneak peek of our new custom fields feature for Atlas projects and goals! Your feedback has been invaluable. Stay tuned for a demo and let us know your thoughts. We're also looking for users to participate in usability testing. Stay tuned for more updates!

ekoehler
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 19, 2024

Hello! Is there a way to designate a custom field as required? I.e. you cannot successfully create the project unless the field is populated.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events