Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late Payments? 07 Ways to Get Paid On Time

👋Hey Atlassian community, It’s Hind from Jaanga, and I’m here to chat about a topic close to every freelancer or small business owner's heart: getting paid on time. Let's jump right in!

SM Posts (21) (2).png

Are you tired of chasing late payments?💸Here are some tried-and-tested tips to help you get paid on time and avoid those annoying delays. Let's dive in!

01. Know Your Customer Inside Out: First things first, ensure you have all the necessary information about your client, especially the person responsible for making invoice payments. Double-check their current contact details and keep track of all interactions using a reliable invoicing software. Trust me, it's a game-changer.

02. Establish Clear and Precise Guidelines: Clearly outline your payment terms and late fees on your invoices or estimates. Oh, and here's a pro tip: Consider offering early payment discounts to encourage on-time payments. Who doesn't love a good discount, right?

03. Strike While the Iron is Hot Don't procrastinate on sending invoices. Send them as soon as the project is completed while it's still fresh in your client's mind. This increases the chances of receiving timely payments.

04. Simplify your follow-up process: Keep things smooth and efficient by using invoicing software like BillWize, that helps you spot overdue clients. With its streamlined interface, you can quickly access crucial data such as overdue invoices, upcoming payments, and more…

5 Common Challenges (4).png

05. Follow Up When Necessary: Be proactive and give your client a friendly call to confirm receipt of the invoice. Sometimes emails can get lost in the flow, and a personal touch can go a long way in fostering a strong client relationship. A friendly reminder here and there should do the trick. but avoid sounding pushy or too needy.

06. Be Firm with Payment Terms: Don't be too lenient with payment terms, even with friends or long-time clients. Allowing clients to dictate their own payment terms can harm your business in the long run. Try finding the balance between tact, compassion, and shrewdness.

07. Maintain Professionalism: Keep all communications polite and professional, even when addressing late payments. One late payment incident shouldn’t sour your relationship with the client. Remember to use 'Please' and 'Thank You' generously.

Conclusion

By implementing these strategies and maintaining a proactive approach, you can streamline your cash flow and say goodbye to the headache of late payments.

Have your own tips for dealing with late payments? We'd love to hear them! Share your experiences with us in the comments.

2 comments

Comment

Gloria Landsberg March 26, 2024

Hi, 

Thank you for the very insightful article. 
My experience shows that even following those spot on points, partner almost never care about the "small" vendors/contractors such as us - the Atlassian admins (for example). On points 5 and 6 I may say that they are the hardest ones to follow from our side, because whatever we say the client abuses most terms agreed. I had case that my payment was late by 3 weeks and I had to follow up few times and 3 days after I got paid I had to issue the next invoice. Honestly those cases became more and more often, so to avoid feeling humiliated each month I didn't renew the contract with this client. 
Haven't say all the above, your article is spot on and it will be good if we all try to follow your guidance and be more firm in regards being paid on time and keeping our dignity. 

Like • # people like this
Hind Kadiri From Jaanga
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 27, 2024

Hi @Gloria Landsberg Thank you for sharing your experience and for your kind words about the article. I'm sorry to hear about your experience, and I truly appreciate you sharing your perspective. Sadly, in cases of persistent non-payment, even after many attempt such as negotiating alternatives with the client, like a payment plan or settlement agreement, it may be necessary to terminate the contract to protect your business's interests and financial stability.

Like • Gloria Landsberg likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events