Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a Project Picker Drop Down field for Service Desk

Thomas Hardin August 6, 2018

I am trying to create a simple multi-picker drop down project picker field so that I can use it on the Service Desk portal. The purpose is that our team supports multiple changes across our entire instance, so requests need to identify the target project for the change.

We use scriptrunner, so my thought was to create a rest endpoint with a behavior that converts a text field accordingly. However, I cannot seem to find a good rest endpoint example that would pull a list of projects for me. I believe I have a couple of options also in that I could query the DB by pulling a list of project names or using an API to pull them, but I just can't get anything to work. 

If anyone has an example that would use either a DB query or API, please let me know. Or, if there are other alternatives, I am open to suggestions.

Thank you,

4 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
FP May 19, 2023

You can use https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1231065/project-picker?tab=overview&hosting=cloud to get a project picker for your JSM request types in the Atlassian Cloud.

This needs no scripting or other development! This app automatically sync. your Jira Cloud projects as options for a configured project picker customfield. If you want, each project type (team-managed or company-managed) is also visualized. Additionally, you can configure external systems or projects, manually: this is very helpful to use JSM as a single point of contact referencing Jira Cloud projects but also on-prem instances or other third party IT-systems!

Best regards,
Frank

0 votes
Bill Latham March 25, 2021

The paid plugin External Data for Jira Fields lets you use your Jira instance as a data source -- so I was able to create a project picker that basically does a rest call for projects -- I was then able to add the field to a Service Desk screen.  This is all using cloud -- Jira Cloud, External Data for Jira Fields looking into my Jira Cloud instance, and the Service Desk is in the same Jira Cloud instance.

That plugin is great anyway (and I don't work for them -- free plug).

0 votes
Eddy Fras May 15, 2020

Same problem for me here, I need a project picker in a service desk portal and for reasons I don't understand, Atlassian decided not to make the existing CF available in this context.

So, what's the best solution to get a project picker in a customer channel with Scriptrunner ?

• A DB picker scripted field ?

=> it's ok to get all projects but I can't find any documentation on how to use contextual data in SQL query (name of issue reporter to limit the list to the projects the current user has access to for example)

• A custom scripted field ?

=> this seems the most flexible solution but I can't find any doc/sample regarding the output type of the script according to the template you choose (a project picker template exists). The doc says :

Use the following table as a guideline for which one to use:

|Your script returns…​|Template|Issue Panel|

|...|...|...|

|A project|Project Picker|main

But how can we return a single project to populate a project picker ?

• A custom field with an initializer of a behaviour ?
  • Something else ?
0 votes
Mechee February 5, 2020

There is a custom field type in Jira called Project Picker.

image.png

Sam April 29, 2020

I've tried using this custom field, but whenever I try to add it to a request form, the field is forced to be hidden with a preset value.

Does anyone have a way of including this kind of field in Jira Service Desk?

Like # people like this
Mechee May 1, 2020

There's an open issue "Gathering Feedback". If you want to see the field, you should put your use case in the comments and vote for it: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-86

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events